Inquisitive Dragon

Discussion in 'My Shapeways Order Arrived' started by TurtlesAreCool, Apr 12, 2012.

1. The dragon arrived, nearly a week early. I noticed an odd scent as I carefully cut the tape on the box. A stronger scent of charred cardboard and melted plastic wafted from the open box. He paced the bottom of the box, pausing occasionally to spit small gouts of flame ineffectually at the borders of his cardboard prison. I had some difficulty calming him down and coaxing him into my hand, but I managed to escape with only a few singes.

Fortunately, after a bit of food, he was agreeable enough to allow me to take a few photos. He seems to be enjoying himself at the moment as he inspects the unfinished projects on my worktable. Unfortunately, he will certainly attempt to demonstrate his incendiary prowess again. If you'll excuse me, I need to prepare a containing pen for him - his early arrival caught me woefully unprepared...

2left.JPG
    3top.JPG
    5hand.JPG

https://www.shapeways.com/model/517360

Last edited: Apr 12, 2012
  2. Lightbringer
    Lightbringer Member
    Awesome job. Is the body hollow? I don't see the drain holes in the photos - very well disguised if it is.

-Lightbringer

3. I can tell you that the body is supposed to be hollow. I'm not sure if it actually is, though. I would need to get an accurate weight and see if that lines up with the expected weight of my expected volume of stainless steel/bronze.

I did put about 5 drain holes on the bottom of the model (picture not shown here), but I can't see the drain holes on the final product. I don't know if they filled up during the bronze infusion or during the printing.

I'm very happy with how this turned out. I am concerned that I may have cheated the rules by making impractical drain holes. I already cheated shamelessly on the strictest interpretation of minimum thickness. Since I don't want Shapeways to lose money, I will probably upload a new copy with slightly larger drain holes (I believe they were 1mm across per instructions)

4. arklan
    arklan Member
    looks excellent.

5. MichaelMueller
    MichaelMueller Well-Known Member
    looks really great in stainless steel!!

6. CharGyse
    CharGyse Member
    Wow, that turned out really nice! I'm convinced, I really need to get playing with stainless steel.

7. :eek: Veeeery nice! It looks like coming directly from the Middle Ages...

The Steel texture is perfect for it!

Cool and very well designed!

Dario

8. Thank you, all. The stainless steel is not cheap, but I think it was worth every penny.

9. WillLaPuerta
    WillLaPuerta Well-Known Member
    It certainly was. That looks great!

10. Fairesure
    Fairesure Member
    Wow! Awesome beast! :eek: