My miniature spaceships!

Discussion in 'My Shapeways Order Arrived' started by coines23, May 7, 2009.

1. coines23
    coines23 Well-Known Member
    I just got 3 of the four spaceship miniatures I ordered. Overall, I'm quite happy with them, although the black detail Dominator broke a fin in transit - I think the bag was taped down a little too hard, since there was plenty of clearance in the box.

Here's the set, plus one of my older minis:
    swminis01.jpg

The two Dominators, in WS&F and Black Detail:
    Dominator_01.jpg

And the Zhukov flying saucer:
    Zhukov_01.jpg

Zhukov_02.jpg

https://shapeways.com/shops/irrationaldesigns

Last edited: May 9, 2009
  2. MaxSMoke777
    MaxSMoke777 Member
    Those are neat little items. Do you plan on putting them on some kinda base or stand, for table-top games?

3. coines23
    That's my plan, yes :)

I've got a bunch more designs to water-tighten in between freelance jobs that I'm looking forward to printing.

--Charles Oines
    Irrational Designs

4. MaxSMoke777
    MaxSMoke777 Member
    You know, if you want to make a little money on those ships, without loosing any of the rights to them, you could always convert the models over for usage with any online game like There.com or IMVU. Those ships would look cool in either game, and earn you a few bucks. I do work on both of those games to pay my way in the world. I make enough money, I don't need to do anything else.

5. MaxSMoke777
    MaxSMoke777 Member
    Btw, what would you think about having you're spaceships with a thin coat of metal on the outside? Like a little copper or nickel? I've started a forum thread asking Shapeways if they'd consider adding Electroplating to their services, so we could get a thin coat of metal added to the outside of our models for an extra fee. If you think this idea is interesting, please let them know with a supportive post here:

https://www.shapeways.com/forum/index.php?t=msg&th=917&am p;start=0&S=4a4e945656727f2eb66f569c7b5317da

6. coines23
  7. MaxSMoke777
    MaxSMoke777 Member
    Awesome stuff! You should add tiny little stands and get them printed in metal.

8. coines23
    I'd have to scale them waaaaaaaaaaay up to be printable in metal. :)

9. MaxSMoke777
    MaxSMoke777 Member
    I dunno, they are about the size of my Crone pendant, and that printed. It wouldn't be too expensive to give it a try, maybe a few of them are stout enough to survive.

10. renegourley
    renegourley Member
    Very cool work. You must be running right up against the 1 mm wall thickness in many places. Care to share what you've learned in this regard?

11. coines23
    Hasn't been much of a problem yet. I've found it works better if you have a thicker area in contact with the 1mm thick zone. The little pipes on the refinery ship are just a hair over 1mm thick, and they seem pretty strong to the touch.

12. 9585_deleted
    9585_deleted Member
    Hey, another question about thickness. How thick are the side wings on your Dominators? They look around 1mm? Are the SWF wings as fragile as the black? Thanks!

-Sasachaz

13. coines23
    Yeah, they're right around 1mm, maybe a bit less. The SWF is considerably stronger than the detail materials.

14. coines23
  15. coines23
    My latest batch:

The Frontier Explorer:
    FrontierExplorer1.jpg

The Warleader:
    Warleader.jpg

And the 6mm scale Terran Main Battle Tank:
    TerranMBT.jpg
    TerranMBT2.jpg

--Charles Oines
    Irrational Designs

16. Inlite
    Inlite Member
    Im loving that tank! amazing how much detail can be put into such a small model

17. coines23
    Just got my tiny giant stomping war machines a few minutes ago!

In order, those are the main battle tank, APC, combat walker and scout walker.

View attachment 2333

Along with the Belter Cruiser:

View attachment 2334

18. coines23
  19. tinsoldier
    tinsoldier Member
    Those are all pretty cool. What game are these for?

Any plans to try the new alumide material?

20. Whystler
    Whystler Member
    Alumide! How could he not? :) I put in a order today as soon as I saw it, and i *almost* ordered one of these pieces lol. But I had spent too much money already.

-Whystler