entire model not importing

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 156978_deleted, Apr 2, 2012.

1. Greetings all. I finally took the plunge and uploaded a model. It accepted it without any errors, but the entire model isn't importing. I modeled it in 3DS Max 2008 and uploaded it as both .STL and .OBJ with the same result (see attached). It is all attached. I must be missing something obvious. Any help would be appreciated.

TIA.

Attached Files:

2. Youknowwho4eva
    Youknowwho4eva Well-Known Member
    Can you share the STL or OBJ? If you don't feel comfortable putting it here, you can email it to me at the email below. If I had to guess, I'd say that the components that are missing are separate parts that are sitting face to face with the main body. You can have multiple shells in a model, but the parts must overlap. Sitting face to face usually is the cause of issues like this.

3. Thanks for the fast reply. I will send it to your email as an .OBJ. If that doesn't work (it is about 5MB), i will resend it as an .STL. Thanks again!

4. 7777773
    7777773 Member
    Double check your Normals... try running it through the Netfabb desktop application, and/or cloud.netfabb.com online service.
    Deleted faces are often inverted. Also, it could be a matter of scale - if you intend to print in inches and it is interpreting in mm, the model comes out 25 times too small... and tiny features may be deleted.