pixels here! not just another iphone case

Discussion in 'My Shapeways Order Arrived' started by 135534_deleted, Mar 30, 2012.

1. So pixel just arrived and i have had a little play with it.

The idea is that u buy the case (pixel) and the pips and customise the case yourself. carrying on the idea of mass customisation .

I know this idea could be created with other production methods. so isnt really a triumph for additive manufacturing. But does celebrate other aspects.

1. I designed it
    2. Didn't have to mess around with resins and silicone's
    3. No storage fee a blah blah blah and so on!

A few modifications i may make:
    the case itself although strong could maybe do with a few more points of a mm to the sides for extra strength.

Make the pips insert-able as sets. To save time on placement of designs

and get it polished

oh and thanks for the help on push fits and colouring duann and youknowwho4ever

the original idea was to make the pips out of full color sandstone but the they didn't meet the deign rules

2.jpg

had a bit more time to tinker:

7.jpg

Last edited: Mar 30, 2012
  2. Youknowwho4eva
    Youknowwho4eva Well-Known Member
    So that's what those things were for, very nice!

3. thanks glad u like it.....still plan to do some experiments with sandstone......thanks again for the help

4. duann
    duann Member
    That is SO COOL

Great idea, well realized

The sandstone would have scratched the phone

It is going to look HOT in the new colors...

5. thanks mate
    still tinkering with it......seperating all the individual parts is more time consuming than i thought.
    lots of little bits pinging around the room!

might make an indentation on the model so it can be snapped

new colours? in SF?

thanks again

oh those new colors!

Last edited: Mar 30, 2012
  6. CharGyse
    CharGyse Member
    Ahhh, very clever!

And awesome how you've managed to design something like this just in time for the new colours without even realising they were coming.

7. arklan
    arklan Member
    EXCELLENT case design.

8. MichaelMueller
    MichaelMueller Well-Known Member
    This is really cool. Great work!

9. thanks everyone

@micheal ur the first to favorite a model of mine.... appreciated !

@char.....yeh i can be a bit slow reading the blogs.....i blame it on too much designing *cough*

10. this is a really cool design...

i was thinking about making a phone case but i was thinking about making it practical by using the back to clip other things or store them. maybe like a slot to hold credit cards or drivers license.

but after seeing the design that you made i think that you could design something that clicks in like your pips. like a slot thing...

anyways- there you go- you can have it.

chris

11. hey chris

thanks for that its given me a bit to think about.

the pips dont actually click in its a push fit from the internal back face. then they are held by the iphone in-situ .

i like the idea of playing around with snap fits......think i have figured out a way to modify 'pixel' so it would take snap fits but im not sure what you would clip to it though....other than cards, etc...maybe for existing products already in circulation.

after a bit of thought ..... lego seemed like a good option. yet after bouncing the idea off a friend...they told me it had already been done.....dam. would love to have thought of that on first

lego-iphone-case.jpg

so....now im thinking of one of the other brands like k'nex. im not familiar with it so might buy a little kit and see what come out the other end

thanks again for the idea

12. Youknowwho4eva
    Youknowwho4eva Well-Known Member
  13. thanks for the heads up......i imagine that the knex idea will inevitable evolve into something that but i want to keep it simple for the moment.

thanks again!