Just starting

Discussion in 'Newcomers Lounge' started by 157448_deleted, Mar 19, 2012.

1. Hello all!

1) What brings you to Shapeways?
    I'm fairly new to designing, and I'm hoping to use Shapeways to build up some sort of portfolio to help me in getting a job in drafting. I know that it might not be all that effective, but I'm hoping to get around the whole "Must have 4 - 6 years experience" thing.
    But who knows, maybe I'll crack out some decent designs and people will actually want to buy them - it might happen!

2) Where are you from?
    I'm from a little city called Brisbane in Australia. Come on, you've heard of it. I know you have ;)

3) What are your interests or hobbies that you plan on using Shapeways for?
    Hmm, I may have already answered that in Q1. Sorry for jumping the gun there.

4) Your software
    Currently I'm using Autodesk Inventor 2012. It's pretty good so far, but everyday I discover how little I know.

5) Your experience level
    I've done part of a course in Autocad, both 2D & 3D. Honestly, I've learned more in trying to do stuff for Shapeways that I did in the course.

Well, that's it I expect. I'll be trying to upload a few things in the next couple of days. I'll be having a look through the q&a's and forums to try and learn more about everything here.
    If anyone wants to help me out with a quick question I'd really appreciate it: Can you get several items printed at once and sent on the one freight charge? It seems it's $20 to send to Australia, and I'd like to minimise that cost if at all possible.

Cheers

BennyT

Last edited: Mar 19, 2012
  2. Youknowwho4eva
    Youknowwho4eva Well-Known Member
    For point 3) :laughing: I'm glad you read the introduction guidelines, but they are just guidelines of what you should include in your introduction. Don't have to do it point by point :p

As for your question, For all the plastic, and sandstone materials, you can put multiple parts in a file for one shipping charge. There are some rules though. The individual pieces must meet the minimum size for the material. If they don't they must be attached to each other, or in a cage that can hold them and last through the cleaning process. For stainless, you could attach the pieces together but then you have to cut that piece of stainless when you get it. Silver you can't really even do that. Liquid silver has to flow through the model so tight spots, such as thin rods connecting pieces, can stop or impede the flow of silver.