Greetings Shapwayers (is that a word?)

Discussion in 'Newcomers Lounge' started by PatrickHughes, Mar 17, 2012.

1. PatrickHughes
    PatrickHughes Member
    What a fantastic place.

1) What brings you to Shapeways?
    I heard about Shapeways from a person inquiring about my software product - CadTempo. I had previously created some models for a couple of customers and had them 3D printed through a local source. Discovering the world of Shapeways you might say I had an epiphany and thus was born the name of my shop: Epiphany

2) Where are you from?
    I'm from Rockford, Illinois. Born and raised, will it be my final resting place? Hopefully no, but I may not have control over that.

3) What are your interests or hobbies that you plan on using Shapeways for?
    I'm looking forward to exploring my artistic side with Shapeways. Time will tell if I actually have an artistic side.

4) Your software
    I have used AutoCAD for years in my main job function (which is machine design). Lately I've been experimenting with Autodesk's 123D Beta and Inventor Fusion. The two models currently in my shop were first created with AutoCAD (yes, it does do 3D modeling) and finished in Inventor Fusion. I found Inventor Fusion to be more powerful than 123D.

5) Your experience level
    As mentioned, machine design is my backgroung so I typically work with things that are a much larger scale than what 3D printing will produce. I can certainly see the potential and value that 3D printing brings forth.

Finally, may I ask your opinion on something? The two models shown in my shop utilise a hook for hanging an item. I'm thinking of modifying them to be a little more unobtrusive. What do you think?

Regards to all, Patrick

2. stonysmith
    stonysmith Well-Known Member Moderator
    Welcome, welcome.

Here's one suggestion for a less obvioius hanger.. if your object is suspended from a a string, then the knot (or a bead strung on the string) would not pass thru the hole, and support the object without having the hook.

hanger.jpg

3. PatrickHughes
    PatrickHughes Member
    Hi Stony, thanks for your reply.

Actually my item contains a hook for something to hang from, rather than the way you are thinking. Have a look at one of my Cube displays, you'll see what I mean.

4. stonysmith
    stonysmith Well-Known Member Moderator
    Oh, and by the way.. it's sometimes "Shapies".

5. CharGyse
    CharGyse Member
    I think that hook looks alright as it is... but I suppose if you modified the hook's shape to blend in more with the rest of the design, then it would be more inconspicuous and the whole stand could possibly look sleeker. :)

6. Youknowwho4eva
    Youknowwho4eva Well-Known Member
    Welcome to Shapeways! When I ran the Baltimore meetup in February, I called out to all Shapies Shapers Shapetes and Shapologists. But the general conscientious is Shapies. As far as your hook, perhaps something like stonys input, a ring with a gap to attach whatever you're attaching. Would a ring look less obtrusive?

Not sure how far you are from Chicago, but a meetup may be coming soon?!?

7. PatrickHughes
    PatrickHughes Member
    Thank you Charlotte,

I think you've put your finger on it, modifying it to blend in better. I had the same thought and I've got an idea on how I want it to look.

@stonysmith, I don't know why I didn't see your picture before but I do now. That's a good approach.

8. PatrickHughes
    PatrickHughes Member
    Thanks Michael,

I'll keep an eye out for the Chicago meetup. I'm about 60 miles from the city outskirts.