From 3ds....

Discussion in 'Software and Applications' started by James3DS, Mar 14, 2012.

1. James3DS
    James3DS Member
    Hello,
    When I export my model from 3ds Max, the model is always faceted in the shapeways preview no matter how much I smooth it.
    Could anybody tell me if I can smooth it in the Shapeways editor or how if they know any appropriate settings prior to export from 3ds Max.
    Thanks,
    James Abell.

2. JACANT
    JACANT Well-Known Member
  3. Smoothing is a effect that alters a models surface during render. For nicer images.
    A 3D printers takes into account the positions of every vertice, thus corresponding faces, and tries to form the model from the info in the file.(Mathematical position in 3d space) If you want a smoother object to be printed, subdivide it to the max, smaller faces,shorter edges lead to a smoother looking result. Excuse, the max comment was not a pun.:).
    Consistant faces is why a manifold mesh is so important to the printer. Its a dumb machine, after all

4. James3DS
    James3DS Member
    Ok,
    Thanks, I will subdivide more and try that.
    I want the 3d print when I get it, to use as a model for a silicon mould or similar and then make copies in resin.
    I think I can smooth out the facets when I cast it and then can recast it.
    Thanks.

5. Hey,

Just want to jump in on this one, are you referring to the standard 'Subdivide' modifier? I tried that and I couldn't get a smooth edge. My example, if I chamfer the edges of a tube you can see the polys - when I subdivide it I can still see the polys.

Can you let me know what you do about this sort of thing?

Many thanks.

S.

6. AmLachDesigns
    AmLachDesigns Well-Known Member
    I use Blender, so I don't know if it's the same but ...

Subdivide adds more vertexes into the existing mesh but does not change the shape of anything. The Subdivision Surface Modifier adds in extra verices AND changes the shape to be smoother. So I would look for something like that (maybe it's called SubSurf).

Good Luck

7. Thanks I will keep looking, I'll see some of the other smoothing modifiers based on what you said.

Cheers

S.