Raspberry Pi & Custard

Discussion in 'My Work In Progress' started by LUMA_Industrial_Design, Mar 8, 2012.

1. Hey Guy's,

Please let me know your thoughts on my "Custard Case" design. I tried to keep all the outputs flush with the case and come up with something a little different.

Raspberry_Pi_and_Custard_mark_little.jpg

A scaled A4 printout can be found here.

Cheers,
    Mark

Twitter: @FusionMark

Last edited: Mar 8, 2012
  2. stonysmith
    stonysmith Well-Known Member Moderator
    Now, that I like...

I wonder what it would look like if you continued the curve on around to the sides of the box as well.

3. Looks great - and really stylish too!

4. Thanks guys. The cover and base models can now be purchased from "My Models."

I would like to add two snap fits onto the cover part and I can't find info on the LED positions so that might need adjusting. (There is no lightpipe, simply a recessed cutout to keep costs down).

If you would like me to make your own design, please get in touch on my website; www.fusionweld.com

5. stop4stuff
    stop4stuff Well-Known Member
    Looks great!

The LED positions are in the upper right of the image - D5 to D9.

Board-front2.jpg

Paul

6. Hi Paul,

Great! Thanks for that, I will add that as texture onto the Solidworks PCB model and get that lined up perfectly!

What are peoples thoughts on no light pipe, and simply exposing the LED's via a recessed cutout?

7. stop4stuff
    Here's the reverse of the board. I forgot to mention that it is the beta board, so things might be a bit different on the production version.
    board-reverse2.jpg

As for light guides, yes, a good idea - personally I'm waiting 'til I can get my hands on one before I commit to a model sale as I'm going to try domething a little different for the light guides.

8. Hi Paul,

Many thanks for the updated PCB images. I placed them onto the PCB as "decals" in Solidworks and located the LED's with no issues.

The case design has been updated and should work really well. It has four light snap features on the cover that snap over the base.

Both parts can be purchased now from here!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 12, 2012
  9. Hey Guy's,

For some reason the last image didn't upload correctly. I hope this works OK!

Raspberry_Pi_Case_3D_Print.jpg

10. This is the most seductive Raspberry Pi case I have found on the Web. The curves are exactly at the right places. You really want to handle that object since you can see that your fingers are bound to fit somewhere along those curves.

Have you considered doing a "stackable" version of the design? If you did mirror images of those curves on the top and the bottom of the case then they could join together. Or you could devise some other way to have them join in a shapely way?

In some school environments (I used to work for Teachnet Consulting, which advised schools on PC installations) it's useful to have some of the computers grouped together.

11. Hi Alain,

Thank you very much for your kind feedback. My only concern with the "stackable" idea is how much heat these Raspberry Pi units generate and if there could be an over heating issue?

I have reduced the thickness of the case in certain areas and made the model include both lid and top part for €38.55.

https://www.shapeways.com/model/523600/custard-case-for-raspb erry-pi.html

Any further feedback would be fantastic!

Best regards,
    Mark

Last edited: Mar 31, 2012
  12. stop4stuff
    I don't think heat is going to be much of an issue. The Pi only draws about 5W or so.

Did you see the news from yesterday about Trademark Rules?

13. Hi Paul,

Noted and thanks for the tradermark rule update, I have renamed the model to just "Custard Case".

Best regards,
    Mark