Artist project looking for technical support

Discussion in '3D Design Requests' started by 154233_deleted, Mar 6, 2012.

1. Hi there

I am a London based artist attempting to extract and 3d print Second Life avatars, but have little technical know-how.

So far, I have tried OGLE 3D extractor with little success as well as Autodesk 123D catch in an attempt to extract my character. I am also aware of Fabjectory (although I don't think their service exists anymore)

If anyone can offer further insight into the software or perhaps could offer some help with rendering from images that would be greatly appreciated. The avatars will be featuring as part of a large exhibition in Scotland later this year, so expect some credit!

Thanks
    Fraser

2. RKurczewski
    RKurczewski Member
    I did it using Blender and it worked fine- prims extracted cleanly so the only step that would theoretically cause problems would be booleaning them together. You might want to give it a try.

3. Great. Thanks for getting back so fast. Ill give it a shot and report back! What do you mean by booleaning?

4. stonysmith
    stonysmith Well-Known Member Moderator
    Booleaning is the process of combining two object together such that they become a single object. There are a few basic operations such as Add and Subtract.

In the image below, there are two shapes on the left.

If you Boolean Subtract the cylinder from the cube, you get the shape in the center. If you do a Boolean Add, you get the shape on the right. Different design programs have varying levels of complexity for dealing with this.

Boolean.jpg