materials for Microphone clips

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 153751_deleted, Mar 6, 2012.

1. 1st post here, so hello everybody.

I am thinking of making a clip to hold 2 microphones together (for a Mid-Side stereo setup to whom this means something). Some concepts of the basic shape can be seem in my shop. It sould be applied like on this image:
    http://pro-music-news.com/html/02/91009neu.jpg
    or
    http://www.professional-production.de/uploads/pics/nprodukte /09/09-07/Bilder/EmesseraufSchoeps.jpg

As my concepts suggest, the Clip should fit tight around the mic but should still be easy to de- and attach. Therefore I have to find the right Material and "ring thickness".
    Is your technology precise enough to do so and with what material?
    Will some materials tension wear out when under tension over time?
    How flexible is flexible as in WSF? Like rubber?
    Are there already similar applications i missed?

regards

2. stonysmith
    stonysmith Well-Known Member Moderator
  3. Many thanks for your answer. That video is indeed a hint.
    What are production tolerances with WSF?
    Would WSF have the same size from -10 to +40 degree Celsius? Does temperature influence elasticity?

Last edited: Mar 6, 2012
  4. Youknowwho4eva
    Youknowwho4eva Well-Known Member
    You should be able to find all the tolerances here and in the link on that page to the design rules.
    I don't know if it covers cold tolerance though.

5. Please excuse my ignorance, but I do not find any tolerance values, neither on the link, nor the PA 2200 product sheet. The WSF page states a minimum detail of 0.2mm though.
    My issue is, if I have a Mic of let's say 20mm diameter, I need the next lower amount for the inner diameter of my Clip that shapeways will not round up to 20mm again.
    So referring to the minimum detail value, that'd be 19.8mm?

Kind regards

6. Youknowwho4eva
    You have to read down this very long page but the accuracy will depend on the print orientation. It is best to give a little wiggle room, and not design to exactly what you're trying to fit.

7. Thanks again, the lower graphs suggest some 0.02 to 0.06 variations, depending on wall size, pins, etc.

Just for my understanding, I do not wish the microphone to wiggle or slide inside the clip, or be somehow lose. The clip is supposed to work as a clamp.
    If I understand you correctly, you suggest, that lets say a nominal 20.2mm diameter will come out somewhere at around 19.8 to fit tightly around a 20mm microphone?

Last edited: Mar 6, 2012
  8. Youknowwho4eva
    I should have looked at your images before hand I guess. if you were making a full circle, than you'd want some wiggle room. Seeing your not doing complete circles, I'd think modeling it at 20mm would work. WSF is a porous nylon material.

I'll go back to your original questions
    Will some materials tension wear out when under tension over time?
    For your application, I don't see that as a problem. For thin walls, and lots of flexing it probably would wear quicker
    How flexible is flexible as in WSF? Like rubber?
    It's more like Polypropylene, but more resilient. if you bend a PP part it'll crease, where WSF would be harder to permanently deform.
    Are there already similar applications i missed?
    I think most the iphone cases use the flexibility of the materials to snap onto the edges of the phones. This includes the detail materials.