Need To Add An Eye To A Pendant

Discussion in 'Design and Modeling' started by benc1980, Mar 5, 2012.

1. benc1980
    benc1980 Member
    I made a couple of pendant designs in Adobe PhotoShop and then make them 3D with the Image Popper on Shapeways. But now I need to add an eye for the necklace chain to go through, which faces the opposite direction of the face of the pendant. I have minimal experience with Google SketchUp, but it looks like SketchUp doesn't work with the Shapeway files. I don't have any other 3D software. Any suggestions?

Last edited: Mar 5, 2012
  2. What kind of file format is the Shapeways file? There is an Sketchup importer for just about any file format.

3. benc1980
    benc1980 Member
    The Shapeways file is .stl. I finally figured out how to open it in SketchUp. First, I downloaded the .stl file from Shapeways, then I opened it in MeshLab and saved it to a certain file type. Then I opened that file in SketchUp. Also, I found there are a couple of add-ons for doing this with SketchUp.

So, I finally figured out "how" it can be done. I played around with the file a bit but I cannot fine tune it. There's got to be an easy way to add just a little eye on the top of my design.

4. - Make the imported file into a "Solid" group
    - Make an eye shape to the correct scale, and position where you want it to be
    - use the Outer Shell tool to join them

Does that help?

5. benc1980
    benc1980 Member
    Marcus, are your instructions for doing this in SketchUp?

6. Yes...are they too advanced?

7. benc1980
    benc1980 Member
    Nope. But I just tried and I see Solid Tools are only available in the Pro version. :(

8. Outer shell is the only Solid tool available in the free version :)