Vampire Skull Ring - Size 10

Discussion in 'My Shapeways Order Arrived' started by SGDesigns, Feb 29, 2012.

1. SGDesigns
    SGDesigns Member
    I just recieved my ring in the mail and im VERY happy with the results. Check out the picures ive attached. Both in silver glossy and oxidized to give it an antique look and make all the detail pop. This ring is Thick and heavy with a weight of 44.3 grams.

1a.jpg

1b.jpg

2a.jpg

2b.jpg

2. Innovo
    Innovo Member
    Wow! Great design and execution but the price is mind bending...
    It would be nice to see a prototype in stainless steel.

3. 48132_deleted
    48132_deleted Member
    Frickin sick! Makes me want to take a shot at making rings. That is just really sweet! Is oxidize a post material option at Shapeways or did you do it yourself? I'm mostly familiar with FUD, no xp with the metals...

Nevermind, you did it yourself, very nice. What do you use to brush the areas afterward that you do not want oxidized?

Last edited: Feb 29, 2012
  4. lensman
    lensman Well-Known Member
    Yeah, my favourite material at SW is silver - too bad it's the most expensive! Nice design.

Did you use Liver of Sulphur (or sulfer) for the patination?

Glenn

5. SGDesigns
    SGDesigns Member
    Thanks for all the positive feedback. For the oxidizing or patination, I used liver of sulphur gel. I used a specific gel for this, I found it gives me the best results, and to brush it off to show detail I used 2x2 pads, again from a specific source. I will post links to both these later on in the day. This process isnt offered through Shapeways, its something I did afterwards.

OK, here is what I used and where they can be purchased.

View attachment Gel.bmp
    Liver of Sulphur
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2 30651546187&ssPageName=ADME:X:AAQ:US:1123

Pads.jpg
    2x2 pads
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/300487880954?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:I T&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

I also used laytex gloves, the ones without powder, 3 plastic bowls and one wooden chopstick. These can be purchased at your local 99 cent store.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2012
  6. 48132_deleted
    48132_deleted Member
    Very cool, thanks! I was looking at fine wire wool for polishing earlier, doh!

I like the fact the ring is fat and heavy, makes it worth wearing :) Definitely inspiring!

7. 9694_deleted
    9694_deleted Member
    hey SG, I just wanted to give you a heads up that your Skull Ring is on our Silver edition of Friday Finds. :)

8. SGDesigns
    SGDesigns Member
    Thanks Ana... :D :eek: :D