Bateriaphage Virus Model

Discussion in 'My Shapeways Order Arrived' started by 125984_deleted, Feb 26, 2012.

1. leorolph
    leorolph Member
    that is cool..... would look good more natural also.

2. What do you mean, "would look more natural"? :p
    That's the way it does look naturally. The bateriophage virus is ver mechanical looking by nature.

[​IMG]

3. leorolph
    leorolph Member
    they are mechanical looking, but they are also living.. notice the curvature on the head and spider like quality of the legs, also it looks like a second bend in the legs. Its a nice model, I'm just saying its an option:)

4. Ah, sorry. You had a "...." in your reply so I didn't know what you were refering to. Yes, of course thinner legs would make it more natural. But there's a limitation to how thin Shapeways can print the legs in SWF. So to have thinner looking legs would require that the model be scaled up, while keeping the legs the same thickness, and I wanted a model that fits int he palm of your hand.

I think the number of bends in the leg depends on what strain of bateriophage. I modeled it off the version on wikipedia, whcih has one bend.

5. I like that. It sort of reminds me of some alien probe/bouy from the original Star Trek. I have a very eclectic collection of models on the shelf :blush: Added to wishlist. Thanks for doing this!

6. I really like it! Don't think the legs are too fragile, are they?
    can Bacteriaphage think?

7. lensman
    lensman Well-Known Member
    Cool. I had someone request a keychain for her boyfriend based on one of these back in 2010. He worked in a lab somewhere, as I recall. I had no idea what it even was when she asked me to model one. http://shpws.me/luQY

Glenn