black strong and flexible -

Discussion in 'Materials' started by 133381_deleted, Feb 24, 2012.

1. Hey, I just received version two of a print that is supposed to have some really tight interactions with various pieces. In particular, it has a telescoping arm made of two separate pieces. I thought I would see what the dyed plastic looks like so I decided to do this version in black. Unfortunately, some of the tight clearances no longer fit as the dimensions in the newer version are just a bit larger than the undyed one.

Does ordering dyed prints mess up measurements, or was there a random printing error? The largest discrepancy would have to be the shaft of the inner part to the telescoping arm - undyed at 3.8mm, dyed at 4.1mm. Its enough that the dyed shaft doesn't fit in the dyed sleeve at all.

Luckily the undyed arm still fits in the sleeve so I still have a functional prototype, but in order to properly address this issue I need to know if this is due to the dying process or not.

Thanks!

2. 2347_deleted
    2347_deleted Member
    The nylon used does absorb water slightly, although probably not to this extent through the dying process. (Equilibrium levels are around 0.5%).

You could simulate this with your undyed part by boiling it in water for a few minutes, however given the size difference described this is unlikely to be the cause.