Good and not so good

Discussion in 'My Shapeways Order Arrived' started by decapod, Feb 19, 2012.

1. decapod
    decapod Member
    My first go at getting a scale model printed.
    Using FUD, I'm impressed by the detail, the tiny parts came out well. a few rough patches but mostly quite smooth.

I lost the top radar which I expected, I'll update the model to fix that.

However, I'm really not happy about the turrets missing :mad:
    They are separate parts and must have been removed when the model was cleaned.
    Have I missed somewhere where it says all parts must be attached?
    I found a few examples in the gallery built with detatched parts.

Here are the pre-painted pics:
    pet1.JPG
    pet2.JPG
    pet3.JPG

https://www.shapeways.com/model/465583/soviet_petya_class_fri gate.html?gid=ug

Paul

2. Youknowwho4eva
    Youknowwho4eva Well-Known Member
    I'd imagine those turrets must be really small. multiple items are allowed, but if they are smaller than the constraints for a print they should be attached to each other so they are not lost when cleaned. Even bigger objects, it makes it easier on the operators if they're attached, thus helping keep prices down.

3. Kaczor
    Kaczor Active Member
    For tiny parts, it's better to use sprues.

4. decapod
    decapod Member
    Thanks for the info - I'll adjust the model (and future models) for next time.

5. decapod
    decapod Member
    I made a couple of turrets from plasticard to finish this one off.
    petya1.jpg

I've updated the model, thickening a few parts, so hopefully it will print with the turrets next time.

Paul

6. decapod
    decapod Member
    My second ship model

1/1250 scale Soviet Kresta 2 class cruiser from the 1970's
    - this one is twice the size of the Petya, about 12cm long
    and took me 4 times longer to make because of all the extra details.

Render from 3D Crafter
    [​IMG]

I am so happy with the result.
    Stunning detail, down to the gun barrels (0.3mm)
    Along with my updated version of the Petya, which also printed better this time.
    I had attached the turrets to the model this time but still only 3 of the 4 arrived :( , none were attached - another mod needed.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Rabidchild
    Rabidchild Member
    Beautiful ships! Did you have any trouble with paint sticking to the model? Did you clean it before you painted it and if so, what with?

8. decapod
    decapod Member
    I dunked them in a glass with hot water (not boiling) with some washing up detergent. (Ecover in the UK as it has fewer extra chemicals)
    Just for a couple of mins.
    Gave them a light brush over with a dry paint brush and left to dry completely.

This brought out much more of the detail.

Tamiya Acrylic paints seem to be sticking well but requires 2 coats (more a problem with the paint than the material)

9. Rabidchild
    Rabidchild Member
    That's good to know. I had heard horror stories of paint never drying because of the oil on the model.