Hi, I'd like to get started but need an updated pc!

Discussion in 'Newcomers Lounge' started by Silvergence_Karen, Feb 15, 2012.

1. Silvergence_Karen
    Silvergence_Karen Active Member
    I've designed all of my life from fashion and surface to architectural and landscape; trying my hand at 3d is the next exciting step for me.
    I've learned that a business oriented pc like my latitude d630 will not let me get started with 3d design programs and any new pc needs to be more of a gaming machine.

I'm looking lovingly at an alienware laptop with intel core i7 processor, dual channel ddr3 sdram 4 dimms memory, and dual video cards nvidia ge force gtx 560m but it's very expensive, probably not going to happen.

So I'd really appreciate your advice regarding what MUST, absolutely, positively, cannot live without it, be included in a new pc for 3d design.

Thanks in advance,
    Karen

2. Youknowwho4eva
    Youknowwho4eva Well-Known Member
    Karen,

I want a Boxx. DE (Desktop Engineer) has rated their workstations as tops in almost all fields of testing. I got a system priced out for around 3K that I'm saving towards. Depending on the software, a lot of them don't support multiple processors and cores. You want the extra cores for background operations and other applications so something quad core with high speed. Next is Ram. You want at least 8 gigs. The more the better. Video card, you want at list half a gig of ram. You don't need 2+ unless your making toy story 4 or something. After that you need a board to support it, I go with small internal drive for OS and a large internal or external drive for storage. Internal is usually faster so better for starting larger programs. The rest is all preference.

3. Vapour
    Vapour Member
    Hi,

When i started using 3d modelling programs computers had a half gig of ram. You dont need an ultra fast computer. The one you have should be fine to get started. Unless you're doing complex assemblies or parts then computer power doesnt matter.