Same model sometimes rejected sometimes printed

Discussion in 'Materials' started by Kaczor, Feb 5, 2012.

1. Kaczor
    Kaczor Active Member
    My pallet set was bought by two customers. First time it was printed and and shipped, second time it was rejected ("walls too thin"). What does it depend?

2. stonysmith
    stonysmith Well-Known Member Moderator
    First, I encourage you to add some votes to this suggestion:
    https://feedback.shapeways.com/forums/111989-shapeways-feedba ck/suggestions/2396166-model-has-been-printed-flag

If your model is made up of multiple shells, it may well have a spot that appears too thin because of the issue raised here:
    https://www.shapeways.com/forum/index.php?t=msg&goto=4196 9&&srch=meshmedic#msg_41969

Part of the trouble is that every time a model is ordered, it is re-checked by a human for thin walls against the (current) design rules, and the specific points they check around the model are random. One operator may catch a thin wall that was missed by another operator.

I've had many, many models that were within the design rules, but I would later get a message from production: "Can you fatten up this section? It keeps failing while we're trying to print it, or breaking while we're trying to clean it." Every failed attempt means loss of time and materials for the production department, and I've been very glad to re-design stuff so as to make the model(s) more printable.

I have also had success in sending a message to service@shapeways.com and requesting a review of the thin walls rejection: sometimes I DO need to refine my design, sometimes they agree that it should have not have been rejected. This give-and-take process is MUCH more agreeable since they got rid of the $25 minimum purchase.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2012
  3. Kaczor
    Kaczor Active Member
    This is big issue because it could discourage customers to my shop. They could say "he makes unprintable, bad designed models so I don't buy anything here anymore".

4. Roy_Stevens
    Roy_Stevens Member
    I completely agree, and have had the same problems recently with my FUD models. My opinion is that your model got oriented badly, in a machine that was getting a bit out of calibration. When that happens walls that are at or near the minimum thickness will fail, and if the machine operator is in a bad mood he/she will will mark your model as being a bad file rather than blaming it on the operator, orientation, or machine calibration. And good luck getting help from Shapeways service. I had a model printed succesfully 128 times, and then this happened to me and all the existing orders for it were summarily cancelled, costing me several hundred dollars directly and quite a bit more in bad PR.

5. Youknowwho4eva
    Youknowwho4eva Well-Known Member
    Kaczor, looking at the standard shapeways render, it looks like you have some sort of mesh issue with some of your pallets. I can see the bottom post has a black area, which usually indicates either inverted normals, or overlapping mesh. pallets.jpg

6. 9694_deleted
    9694_deleted Member
    @Kaczor unfortunately 3D printing is not yet a fully understood, 100% reliable form of manufacturing. My team and people like you in our community are actually pioneering the process, which can admittedly be a difficult experience, as well as an exciting one.

With regard to your customers, know that we want very much for your relationship with them to be as strong as possible. When shopowners win, Shapeways wins too. We're looking into a number things both on the software side, and on the Supply Chain side to ensure that you deal with this very infrequently. And please do vote in Uservoice, like Stony said!

@johnny while I empathize with your frustration there, we ask that you keep you criticism constructive. In the future, if you have problems which aren't being addressed via normal interactions with CS, I ask that you let me know so that I can help coordinate between you and the support team. Thanks in advance.

7. Kaczor
    Kaczor Active Member
    @Youknowwho4eva - I think it's a render glitch. I checked it in netfabb - 10 shells, no errors...

PS. Another guy have bought it so now I'm waiting for verification result.

8. stonysmith
    One option is to send the file via PM to me and I'll take a look.

9. Kaczor
    Kaczor Active Member
    False alarm. It was my fault :blush:

Probably because Sketchup rounded up dimensions to 0,3mm...
    252091-1.jpg

Last edited: Feb 7, 2012
  10. stonysmith
    Quote: "It's always something."

Glad you found it.

11. Kasss_Gnarl
    Kasss_Gnarl Member
    Hi Kaczor,

When using Sketchup (version 8, not sure if it is the same on earlier versions) you can alter the amount of decimal places displayed to help prevent problems like this. All you need to do is go to 'window' -> 'Model Info'-> On the list that pops up select 'Units' then you can set the percision of Length units and Angles. As far as I can tell you have to set this on a model by model basis.

12. Kaczor
    Kaczor Active Member
    @Kasss_Gnarl - thank you! Very useful information :p

13. Roy_Stevens
    Roy_Stevens Member
    I model in Solidworks for a living and always add a couple thou above min wall thickness, yet still have reoccuring problems with rejected models. I believe that letting the community know that such things occur can be constructive. I don't know for certain why it happens, but I labeled conjectures as my opinion.