Price really high for no reason?

Discussion in 'Materials' started by 144276_deleted, Feb 4, 2012.

1. Hi, I've just uploaded a model, with sizes of:
    10.3 w x 6.0 d x 11.1 h (cm)

But it's not a solid, it's only a triangle with a lot of free space inside. The only thing that's there is three walls of 3,5mm thick and 11,1 mm long. So it forms a triangle.

You can view it here:
    https://www.shapeways.com/model/463725/microfoon_flag.html?gi d=ug

It says the price for White, Strong and Flexible is 85,36 euro / 112,46 dollar but only the material cost counts, right? Not the dimensions itself.

Please respond because I don't understand it...

Thanks.

2. stonysmith
    stonysmith Well-Known Member Moderator
    You are going to be dissapointed if you are trying to compare the cost of 3d printing to that of injection molding, or purchasing bulk styrene stock and building such a structure with a few quick cuts.

The item you're trying to model is a significant volume of material

For each face:
    110mm x 3.5mm x 60mm = 23100mm3 = 23.10cm3

so: 23.10cm3 = $33.84 in WSF for just one face.

Three faces would be $98.52, not counting overlapped areas.

One choice would be to select a different material... it'd be $55 in FCS.

But, I'd consider making the item thinner.. if it's truly a flag for a microphone, then you only need 1mm thick, which would drop your whole cost down to about $30

Then, if you were to start poking holes in each face, you'd drop the price even more. If you are looking for a specific logo on each face, you might consider cutting the logo as holes all the way thru the face.. and might be able to cut the cost by as much as 50%

3. gharryh
    gharryh Member
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2012
  4. stonysmith
    Harry: that's a bad link.

5. gharryh
    gharryh Member
    Sorry had the item on private. The link is correct.

6. But is it the quantity of the material that counts or the dimensions of the whole thing?

7. stonysmith
    With the exception of the Glazed Ceramic, all material prices are computed on Volume of material used. (GC is based on surface area).