Coin in 3D from a texture

Discussion in '3D Design Requests' started by 711_deleted, Feb 3, 2012.

1. 711_deleted
    711_deleted Member
    Im looking for someone that could take an of the front and the back of a coin and create a shapeways ready 3d file for me.

I basically want the detail in the images of the coin to show up as corresponding ridges in the coin.

Meio%20escude%20Ouro%20Portugal%201722%20Lisboa.jpeg
    [image used as example]
    have actual image at higher resolution for a going measuring 19mm.

Regards
    Eduardo

2. stonysmith
    stonysmith Well-Known Member Moderator
    I would suggest trying a program such as 123dCatch (www.123dcatch.com).

For any of such programs to work, you need high-resolution pictures from a couple of different (close) angles such as a stereoscopic pair of photos.

3. Jackablade
    Jackablade Member
    That's a tricky one.
    I've used 123DCatch for capturing maquettes at work. Maybe it'd work with a lot of messing about, but I don't think it or any similar image based model generation softwares would really be anywhere near sensitive enough to capture the fine detail on a coin and turn it into geometry. Your best best would be trying to get a very neutrally lit shot of each side of it and try to convert it into a height map.

Is a Shapeways print going to be high enough resolution to show off those details?

Last edited: Feb 5, 2012
  4. benoit
    benoit Member
    Alternatively, you could (in the worst case manually) trace the detail to vectors, and build the 3D model from the outlines. I think it's certainly doable, it might just be some work, there seems to be a lot of detail!

To print in a regular coin size, silver might be the best option..!

5. philatkin
    philatkin Member
    123D catch won't work in this case as it fails miserably in the presence of specularity, and coins are notoriously shiny. If you painted the coin first in a matte paint it might work.

What might work better is to take the coin (if you have it physically) and do a rubbing of it with a very soft pencil or a dark wax crayon - this will give you a sort-of relief map of the surface which can then be scanned and used in Cheetah3D or similar modelling package to make geometry for manufacture by Shapeways.

But if you have the coin physically you can just make a silicone mould from it and cast it in a low melting point alloy.

6. 711_deleted
    711_deleted Member
    Thanks for the input.
    I can see the problem regarding the mapping of the texture, as indeed the photographs I have have a lot of shine from the coin and deep shadows (I've attached the image of the coin).
    I have traced the main outlines, but there is a lot of detail that would be missing i guess. Seems like a hopeless case?

COIN.jpg

7. stonysmith
    stonysmith Well-Known Member Moderator
    Definitely not a hopless case.. just may take some extra work.

I would still at least think about giving a program such as 123dcatch a try. One easy way to get around the specular hilights would be to make a plaster cast of the coin and then scan the cast, rather than the coin.

There are 3d scanning services out there, but if you're into do-it-yourself, there's also stuff like this: http://revision3.com/systm/laserscan

8. 28396_deleted
    28396_deleted Member
  9. I can do this for you in ZBrush 4 if you have high resolution images. The more images, and the higher the resolution, the better.

10. Dotsan
    Dotsan Well-Known Member
  11. 7777773
    7777773 Member
    Another possible option:
    You could try making a paper rubbing of the coin.
    Basically, this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stone_rubbing

Scan the rubbing. Convert the scanned image into a monochromatic BMP. Then use the Shapeways Imagepopper to take the monochromatic tracing and turn it into a 3d model. You'd need to do this twice - one for each side - and there would likely need to be a bit of cleanup in the scanned 2D image stage, but it would be a fairly quick process to go from real to 3D this way.

12. BigHache
    BigHache Member
    This could probably be done by converting the scan to greyscale and using that as a displacement map for a high res mesh. You'd just have to be mindful of the minimum details for whatever material you'd want this printed in.