Ceramics - glaze dimensions?

Discussion in 'Materials' started by 133340_deleted, Jan 30, 2012.

1. I am thinking of making something with the glazed ceramic material, but would need parts that will fit inside other parts and such.

The design rules say Pieces that fit together are suggested to have clearance of 4 mm (ie teapot & lid) but I am a little confused by that.

For example:
    If I were to make some item in glazed ceramic with a hole in it say 30mm in diameter, what would be the largest diameter of item I could be guaranteed would fit in the hole? 26mm (4mm smaller in total) or 22mm (4mm total clearance between all sides)

Does this 4mm rule apply to ceramic + ceramic parts only?

If one of the parts was a made of a precisely cut material, what would be the minimum clearance then?

It is also written that the glaze will add up to 1 mm of surface volume in some places. - Is this a guaranteed maximum?

2. TomBot
    TomBot Member
    Obviously not official, and a single data point, but here's my experience:

I modeled a large hollow cylinder with circular holes on the top and bottom, and another part with a vertical cylinder that fit through the holes. In the model, the walls of the large hollow cylinder were 4mm (with square edges), the holes were 18mm diameter, and the post was 11mm diameter. (Thus, a 3.5mm clearance.) As printed, the walls were about 5.2 mm, with rounded edges, the holes were 16mm minimum diameter (slightly off-round), and the post was 12mm diameter.

So that was about what I expected: surfaces got somewhere between .5mm and 1mm of glaze, and throw in a bit of warping. So for a hole and something fitting inside, the difference of diameters would work out to 4mm, but go 6 or 8 to be safe.