Production waiting times for different materials?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by SaGaDesign, Jan 28, 2012.

1. SaGaDesign
    SaGaDesign Member
    I recently ordered a few different items and was informed I should expect to wait around 2 weeks (3 weeks for one of the items) until the orders get shipped.

Is this the typical lead-time for small orders, and why does it take so long? Once Shapeways expand their production facilities in New York, how quickly do you think we will be able to receive our orders?

It would be amazingly helpful for me in my product sales if sometime soon I could guarantee my clients would receive their items from Shapeways within one week! :)

Not to mention, the anticipation of waiting to see how new design tests turn out is pretty nerve-wracking....

Cheers,
    -Saad
    https://www.saga-3d.com/
    https://www.shapeways.com/shops/saga

2. totally agree with you !

3. stop4stuff
    stop4stuff Well-Known Member
    A couple of pages for you to bookmark-

The main materials page has links to all materials, on each material page is the delivery timing for that particular material.

The Materials status page has information regarding any delays for materials.

And don't forget, the quoted times are business days ;)

4. Youknowwho4eva
    Youknowwho4eva Well-Known Member
    We've already seen some designs drop from 10 days to 7 days because of the new facilities. As production expands, times will decrease. Right now your order is taken, the file is manually checked to see if it follows the rules for the material and is printable, then it's sent to the printer where it can take upwards of 24 hours to print a full run of items (the longer items have several steps that are just as time consuming). Then it's shipped to the distribution center (NY or NE) and from their put in it's Shapeways packaging and sent to you via UPS which usually takes a day or 2. So there is a lot to do in those days before you get your item. They make it look so quick and easy in the videos :p

5. SaGaDesign
    SaGaDesign Member
    Yeah, I know there are definitely a lot of steps.
    I just can't wait till Shapeways gets so big and has so many machines that orders can be produced and delivered overnight *gasp* ! ;)

6. 9694_deleted
    9694_deleted Member
    Me neither. :)

We've got a ways to go, but our materials and are lead times do seem to be trending in a good directions.

The materials status page is all green today for the first time!