Plastic grid for custom Scrabble board

Discussion in '3D Design Requests' started by 140383_deleted, Jan 25, 2012.

1. I have a project that I just started, but unfortunately the modeling programs aren't intuitive, and I don't want to spend hours learning how to use them. I think it should be easy to make, since it is just a bunch of rectangular prisms.

I have an idea to make a custom Scrabble board, bigger than the usual size, 21x21 rectangles, instead of 15x15. The base would be wood. However, I need a special raised plastic grid on top, so that tiles fit inside, and don't move. Here is what it looks like in text:

|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|

Did that work? The lines and dots should be connected, straight, and of plastic. The rectangles in between the lines are open.

Here is a website that makes what I am trying to do, but in the standard 15x15 size:

http://www.customscrabbleboards.com/

I have the dimensions for everything. Each individual cell inside the grid should be 0.75" x 0.8125" of no plastic, with a border of plastic 0.0625". The depth for everything should be 0.0625". The whole grid should come out to 17.125" x 18.4375" x 0.0625". That is:

0.0625*22 + 0.75*21 = 17.125"
    0.0625*22 + 0.8125*21 = 18.4375"
    Depth of 0.625"

The grid works out to slightly less than 3 cubic inches.

I would buy a thin sheet of plastic and glue the grid onto it.

Can it be made into .stl format? What am I looking at in terms of labor? Thanks.

2. baltimore
    baltimore Member
    The labor would take most modelers about a minute or two, but the print is pretty large (too large?), and might cost a bit. It might even need to be split into four pieces. For this type of project I'd suggest using a laser cutter.

3. Thanks for the suggestion. Are there stores that do laser cutting, and I could just tell them the specs I need?

4. baltimore
    baltimore Member
    https://www.shapeways.com/model/452469/

it'll cost $68.91 to print it here. There are online laser cutting services, and for those you'd have to send a 2d drawing. most places charge between $1 and $2 per minute to cut. I'm not sure how long it'd take though, and you might also need to do it in more than one piece.

5. Nice, you made it. I actually laughed when I saw it. Thanks. Maybe laser cutting will be better, but at least I have a viable alternative.

6. mctrivia
    mctrivia Well-Known Member
    I know someone with a laser cutter. They charge $100 startup fee but pretty low cost per part if you need duplicates. If you are interested I can inquire about costs. Sipping may be a problem WSF may be great option as it is flexible and I bet that print could be rolled up

7. Thanks for the response, but I have already found a place that can do it for me locally.