Shapeways is giving me issues

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 87451_deleted, Jan 12, 2012.

1. 87451_deleted
    87451_deleted Member
    Howdy fellas. I'm trying to design a flash hider that would fit on the standard 14mm threads from an airsoft rifle (which I think are M14-1 6H). At this point, I'm using Autocad Inventor and trying to upload the model via a .stl file to Shapeways so that they can print it. However, I've run into some problems.

Here's what I have so far:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And here's what shapeways thinks I upload:
    [​IMG]

It somehow fills in the hole that I tapped and threaded. Is there any way to fix this?

Attached Files:

2. stonysmith
    stonysmith Well-Known Member Moderator
    How did you add the threads?

Between the threads and the main body are a series of 140 super-thin shells. Each one of those shells is single-sided, with a hole on the reverse side.

shells.jpg

I don't know Inventory, but there should be some way to fix this. One possiblilty is to make the outside dimension of the threads ever so slighty larger.

3. 87451_deleted
    87451_deleted Member
    I used the thread feature on Inventor and then used a plugin that models the thread in 3D.

4. Roy_Stevens
    Roy_Stevens Member
    I think you just answered your own question there. I don't know inventor, but in other 3D CAD programs I've used, plugins are usually only good for visual effects, not solid modeling. I'd recommend modeling the thread directly using a spiral extrusion or something similar.

5. 87451_deleted
    87451_deleted Member
    That's basically what this plugin does. It finds the ANSI specifications for the thread that I used and then creates a coil that cuts out the threads from the part. I'll try doing it manually and seeing what happens.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2012
  6. 87451_deleted
    87451_deleted Member
    I did the threads completely manually and I'm still having the issue.

What other software can I use to make threads on my part prior to upload?

Or is it even possible for Shapways to print threads?

7. Youknowwho4eva
    Youknowwho4eva Well-Known Member
    The thread can be printed depending on the size and the material.

Stoney used Netfabb to assess your model, you could get Netfabb basic (free) and use it's repair processes to fix your model.

8. stonysmith
    Even Netfabb is having trouble with the geometry. (I'll skip the long technical explanation)

If you'd like for me to look at it more.. Can you produce the two peices separately and email them to me? models@stonysmith.com

9. 87451_deleted
    87451_deleted Member
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2012
  10. stonysmith
    Cool beans. Now, you just have to work around the fact that Shapeways has a rule against weapons. :D

I wonder how such parts are dealt with?

11. Roy_Stevens
    Roy_Stevens Member
    Doesn't look like a weapon to me. The only way you could hurt someone with that is to throw it at them. Just be smart with your description.

12. Youknowwho4eva
    Youknowwho4eva Well-Known Member
    This part shouldn't be a problem. It doesn't look like a weapon, and is only an accessory.

13. Twopounder
    Twopounder Member
    It's also impossible to use with any of the fabricating methods that shapeways employs. It would just shatter (and damage your rifle in the process).

Should be fine for airsoft though.

14. Kaetemi
    Kaetemi Member
    "It's a miniature space station part." :cool: