Automotive and other companies thoughts?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by StewMM, Jan 12, 2012.

1. StewMM
    StewMM Member
    Is there any problems with 3D printing cars (or planes. trains. boats).
    Surely the manufacturers would have a few things to say about it?

2. stop4stuff
    stop4stuff Well-Known Member
    If you're talking about creating to be useable in real life, its been done - car = Urbee - plane = Southampton University

For replicas or copies of existing designs that are still protected by Design Rights, Design Patents and/or Trademarks then obviously the smart move is to contact the Intellectual Property owner for express permission to copy their work as with any other design or image one might think is cool, e.g. the computer and console gaming industry pays big money for licenses to replicate real life objects in games. Creating objects for 3D printing is no different.

3. Slight tangent on the subject line, but follows on your reply -- I'm totally new to 3D printing and super-excited about the future. I have a decorative ball that I'd like to reproduce in a different material (aluminium or alumide), but I don't have a 3D file of it, or have any clue as to who might be the IP owner. I only need one sample for my personal use. Any ideas how I might be able to have this replicated?

4. lensman
    lensman Well-Known Member
    Well, create the model (or have someone create it for you), upload it to Shapeways (non public view) and print it...

5. I ordered a built Offenhauser engine about a Month ago, but haven't received the model as yet, Any idea as to when I will receive it?Thank you, Choice Dalton, choice3666@gmail.com hope to hear from someone.
    Thank You,
    CWD

6. AmLachDesigns
    AmLachDesigns Well-Known Member
    When you are logged in go to the top right of the screen.
    Hover your mouse over the downward pointing arrow.
    Select 'My Orders'.
    Click on the Order Number of the relevant order.

If that does not answer your question, contact service@shapeways.com with the relevant order number etc.