3Drehkino: 3D printed zoetrope

Discussion in 'My Shapeways Order Arrived' started by 112506_deleted, Jan 10, 2012.

1. [​IMG]

This is a simple zoetrope design:
    I took a blender animation shared on blendswap.com and tried to get it printed for the drehkino. The figures are only 18mm tall, but its stunning to see them walking. The detail level and wall width is at the lower limit of WSF and I really appreciate the help of the shapeways team, that pointed me to problems in my first tries.

Video of 3Drehkino

More infos on the drehkino website: drehkino.de

[​IMG]

The black/white marker ring is printed out paper and glued on the disk.

2. 28396_deleted
    28396_deleted Member

Amazing !!

3. Youknowwho4eva
    Youknowwho4eva Well-Known Member
    That is so cool! The terminator style walk is a little creepy. Wouldn't want this dude walking behind me.

4. bdeaver
    bdeaver Member
    Very nice version of a zoetrope! I assume you've seen the films of Eric Dyer from the Univ. of Maryland, which use a similar approach to show movement. If you haven't, take a look.

5. MichaelMueller
    MichaelMueller Well-Known Member
    Wow, this is really great.
    There is a sensor on the circuit board which synchronizes the light flicker to the rotation? Is "drehkino.de" your project?
    Michael

6. stop4stuff
    stop4stuff Well-Known Member
    AWESOME!!!

sorry to shout, but it needs to be!

@18mm tall in WSF, could you halve the size (to be printed in FUD) and match 'Dot' a stop motion animation... but with animation in 'real time'??

[edit] after a closer look... would it be better to have the timing marks modelled into the print and then black them out later? - the paper printed ring looks a bit off-center.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2012
  7. Dear Michael,
    yes my page, I developed this simple circuit and chose a cheap reflective sensor for syncronisation. Try the generator on drehkino.de - make disks for easy 2D-disk generation.

Tobias

8. 88898_deleted
    88898_deleted Member
    Wow that's awesome! :D

9. @bdeaver:
    Thanks for the pointer, unfortunately I haven't heard of Eric before but I am excited of the video I found on
    Eric's Page. I found the rowing skeletons charon at burning man 2011 quite impressive.

Content is by far the most important thing. I created some nice disks from cartoons and movies, but most are copyrighted, so no chance to publish.

That is why I am very thankful to Mekry who made his 3D model and animation available to public,- I would not have the talent to create this.
    Tobias

10. @stop4stuff:
    thank you for shouting, really.

For the animation it does not matter if the marker ring is off center, but it would definitly look better if it is integrated in the 3D print. I could imagine using a gap / solid pattern instead of black / white which should be ok for the sensor. I will try.

The dot animation is neat,- but for a disk you must always keep in mind that the animation should be cycled, like walking, rotating, drinking jumping, etc. And 1..2 seconds is the limit of a 200mm disk. "dot" is 97 seconds, around 2400 frames, 20mm per frame may fit on a 15 meter disk(diameter) , can you print that, shapeways? :)

11. 654_deleted
    654_deleted Member
    Very cool design. How many "frames" on your disk?

12. This is so great. I've been considering trying out a concept very close to this for a long time now and it's awesome to see others have achieved it nicely.

13. @JamesSaunders: The 3D disk has 29 figures and 30 syncronisation bars (With 29 bars the figure would walk in place,- without moving). The optical syncronisation let you squeeze up to 50 frames on a disk

14. 4832_deleted
    4832_deleted Member
    Is the disk itself 3d printed aswell?

Wouldn't it be far cheaper to have the disk lasercut and only have the figurines printed in 3d?

15. @cloaca: Absulotely. This would be cheaper. One would need a good positioning form in the base of the figures to get them exactly placed. And some numbering,- Currently the "floor" on which they are walking is seamless, that would not be possible anymore, but I think about it for the next disk.

The creator of "mesh-test", the model I used from blendswap for the disk says in his comment, that there are other actions in the "logic editor". I have not found a way to get this movements activated. Maybe someone can tell me how? I am still searching for the next good animation. Any pointer is appreciated

16. stop4stuff
    A 15 meter diameter disk? wow that'd be huge!

In FUD you might get the figures to half the size - bringing the disk down to 7.5m - but this would still not be possible... however... who says the figures need to be on a disk? Each one could be on it's own little chain link - ok, 22 odd meters of chain is a lot, but I hope the idea come across :)

Paul

Last edited: Jan 12, 2012
  17. Paul, a chain is a great idea! If it somehow can be put on a reel, the 3D movie is perfect. But first I will stick to disks, I think of cloacas idea and will make next disk like a jigsaw puzzle: Smaller print size and non-ambiguous connection.

18. 4832_deleted
    4832_deleted Member
    connector slot underneath the feet of the printed people and matching slots in the cut out disk, you can still have your seamless floor, a far thinner piece of plastic with holes matching the cross sections of the slots lasered out, wedged in between the people and the wheel. could be a different color, maybe cool.. numbering isn't that big a deal.. you can just switch em around if you've made a mistake.. we're not talking hundreds of pieces here..

maybe the same little individual people can be reused in other configurations; a horizontally spinning disk, the chain seems like a cool idea. maybe something more like how tank tracks work.. you can probably find those already modelled on thingyverse..

19. BillBedford
    BillBedford Member
    But you don't have to mount the figures on a disk. You could, for instance, mount single figures on what is effectively a link in a chain. Then the sequence could be as long as you liked subject to the the problem inherent in moving long unwieldy chains, and of course, the cost.

20. stop4stuff
    Great minds think alike Bill, I made the same suggestion about 2 hours ago :cool: