Missing parts when uploading to shapeways. Help would be much appreciated!

Discussion in 'Design and Modeling' started by yonibinstock, Jan 9, 2012.

1. yonibinstock
    yonibinstock Member
    Hey guys,

So I'm working on a model called Time Flies.

The problem is when I upload it to shapeways, I'm missing the hour, minute, and second hand in addition to the numbers (1-12).

Does anyone have any ideas why this is happening and what I can do to fix it?

Much appreciated,
    Yoni

Attached is the skp version and the stl version

Attached Files:

2. yonibinstock
    yonibinstock Member
    STL Version attached

Attached Files:

3. 46486_deleted
    46486_deleted Member
    Hello, I just had a quick look at your model.
    What I have noticed is that the numbers and the small minute markers appear to have holes in them and the base of the hands which attach to the clock face has an overlapping face(I think it's called).

Pictures showing what I see...
    Inside showing the back of the hands base:
    [​IMG]

Numbers/Markers:
    [​IMG]

Hope this helps,
    Tom.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2012
  4. JACANT
    JACANT Well-Known Member
    Hi
    The reason you are missing the hour, minute, and second hand in addition to the numbers (1-12), is that you have hidden geometry. In what looks like a convex glass face. Software would pick this up as a face so you can not see through it. You will have to explode your model twice, turn on ' view - hidden geometry' then you can pick this 'glass face' and delete it.
    3.JPG

That is the least of your worries, The face itself has holes through it were the numbers and digits are. Erase all the walls to the numbers and digits.Then I would make these items solid and extrude them from the face of the clock.

The feathers of the wings are way too thin. They themselves would not pass Shapeways minimum wall thickness check.

3a.JPG

Sorry I can't be more helpful.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2012
  5. yonibinstock
    yonibinstock Member
    Hi guys,

Thanks so much for all of your help and explanations. They're extremely helpful.

3D printing wasn't as easy to pick up as I earlier thought, but i'm going to stick with it.

Thanks again,
    Yoni