Will my Minecraft sandstone model break?

Discussion in 'My Work In Progress' started by 128480_deleted, Dec 26, 2011.

1. Hi, I have no 3D Modelling experience what so ever.
    And I live in Australia, so postage is $20, so i want to keep the cost of my models down.

https://www.shapeways.com/model/edit/417989/

The walls are 2mm thick, and so i can buy it at roughly $20.
    I lightly read though the design rules, and wasn't quite sure if it would break or not.

I made a 4mm thick version, but that costs about $12 more, and I really am on a budget.

If anyone could possibly help me that would be fantastic.

2. Internal struts can increase the strength significantly, with a minimal amount of additional volume.

Attached Files:

• L4.png

L4.png

File size:
      82.6 KB
      Views:
  3. thanks, much appreciated :)

4. 88898_deleted
    88898_deleted Member
    Cool model!

Also a lot of people who get the full color prints do some post-processing themselves afterwards.
    Some people use a coat of spray varnish, which I believe also helps the strength.
    (Anyone have experience to share?)

Sandstone models are best for display purposes. But if you get a little breakage, you can use superglue to fix.

5. The coat(s) of (clear) varnish should be very thin - otherwise it would look sleazy - so they don't affect the breaking strength.

But a coat of varnish protects the surface from scratches, and since FCS' colors are not waterproof it's HIGHLY RECOMMEND (!!!) to seal FCS models.

6. stannum
    stannum Well-Known Member
    They coat FCS with cyanoacrylate, but still not waterproof?

7. ...from the FCS material page:

"One thing to call out, our full color creations do not play well with water. The colors used is similar to Inkjet Printer coloring, which fades when wet. The same principles apply. Check out this photo. The original color was a sky blue (as represented in the lower right of the photo), after we dipped the model in water the blue faded and whitened."

8. (a little bit googel-ing about cyanoacrylate later...)

"Superglue react with atmospheric moisture to cure, but the bonds themselves are not waterproof., Ie, water with or without soap will dissolve the adhesive."

Source: Pattex

Last edited: Dec 29, 2011
  9. stop4stuff
    stop4stuff Well-Known Member
    cyanoacrylate aka CA aka superglue = warm water to seperate bonded fingers etc.

10. Porbably not. I made one that was MUCH thinner and it didnt break. however expect 1 or 2 blocks to break off on the endges. On mine a single block jutting out as a spire broke off but it did not detract from the appearance of the model