After uploading a file from thingoverse or sketchup, I can't manipulate the individual parts.

Discussion in 'Software and Applications' started by yonibinstock, Dec 11, 2011.

1. yonibinstock
    yonibinstock Member
    Hi guys,

I'm new to 3d printing and I'm having a problem I can't get around.

I want to upload templates from open source sites and then manipulate in Google SketchUp.

Unfortunately, when ever it uploaded to SketchUp, I can't break it down into smaller parts.

Any suggestions?

Cheers,

yoni.binstock

Also as a side question, what's the best way to form curving cylinders?

2. duann
    duann Member
    Hi and Welcome.

Try Google Warehouse for Sketchup editable files http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehouse/

Other sites will give you STL files which may be difficult to edit in SketchUp.

Good luck.

3. Hi yoni,

In addition to Duann's comment, keep in mind that if the original modeler didn't make the model using groups in Sketchup, you will have a very hard time editing the model. Its often easier to start over from scratch.

To form curving cylinders, you're probably going to need a plugin. Look at Curviloft, an advanced tool, or post a specific example of what you want to do and I'll help you.

4. aeron203
    aeron203 Member
    You did "explode" the mesh you imported, right? You can edit, i'ts just very tedious without groups.

The Curviloft plug-in looks useful, but if you are just getting started you can get basic jobs done with the "follow me" tool. This is often called a Sweep in most other programs. You simply draw your path with lines and arcs, then draw your profile shape on the endpoint at a 90 degree angle. Rotate your view correctly and Sketchup will orient the shape properly. Click Tools>FollowMe and drag the shape along the line as shown here. If you are making several shapes you may want to draw the parts apart from each other and move them together later so the cursor does not snap to the wrong points.
    follow.png

5. yonibinstock
    yonibinstock Member
    Thanks a lot everyone. Your comments have been super helpful!

6. yonibinstock
    yonibinstock Member
    Hey guys,

I'm having trouble with plug-ins.

Apparently, I'm supposed to save the plugins (.rb) into the C:\Program Files\Google\SketchUp\Plugins\. Unfortunately, I can not find that folder on my computer.

I hope this is not going to be one of those "I'm retarded" moments.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2011
  7. aeron203
    aeron203 Member
    It should be there, but if not then you'll have to make one. Restart the program , and viola, plug-ins are loaded.

BTW, try to keep the language family-friendly here, Yoni. Recent posts are only a click away from the main page. :blush:

Let us know if you need any more help!

8. yonibinstock
    yonibinstock Member
    Aaeron,

Sorry about the language, edited it out.

Can you explain how I would create the folder to the sketchup program?

9. aeron203
    aeron203 Member
    I'm assuming you were able to find the Sketchup folder using Finder/Explorer?

The only other thing that could be holding you back here could be that the actual path might be "C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Google SketchUp 8\Plugins", as it is on my computer.

10. yonibinstock
    yonibinstock Member

Last edited: Dec 14, 2011