Private sale link does not work

Discussion in 'Shapeways Shops' started by lensman, Dec 10, 2011.

1. lensman
    lensman Well-Known Member
    I created a model and set it as "Private, but available for sale using your private link". I then copied the Permalink underneath the model photo. Sent the link to the customer and was told the link did not work. Sure enough, tested it myself by logging out and it didn't work. Copying the full URL did not work either.

I have now had to change the setting to "Public and available for sale" to get the link to work.

This is not good since I want to leave the customer with a private link which she can come back to later and re-order, and I definitely don't want "the public" seeing this model for sale since it will mean nothing to them.

Shapeways, please address this.

Glenn

2. lensman
    Well, I copied the entire URL so it should have been.

Now, when you tested yours did you log out first? In the past I'm pretty sure I checked this but I was logged in at the time.

Glenn

3. lensman
    I've just re-tested this on another model and, as I suspected above, IF you are LOGGED IN the links work fine. LOG OUT and try them. Neither the Permalink nor the full URL works for me if the model is set to "Private but available for sale".

Glenn

4. lensman
    Yes, the link did work - was that Private but for sale? - and yes, I did switch off editing.

Very strange. I will be testing again from home later.

Glenn

Last edited: Dec 10, 2011
  5. Yes, that's "private, but available for sale using your private link".

And as I can see in my Inbox, the full URL from an other private-but-buyable model from a current project works for the client.

Sorry, the idea about the edit mode was my last straw. :(

6. lensman
    [deleted]

Was doing more tests and getting thoroughly confused between URLs when logged in and not.

7. lensman
    Think I got it sort of solved. Sometimes when I logged in after having entered the URL the page would open up without the FULL URL being in the address bar. I suppose I might have been copying this at some point.

However, the Permalink does NOT work, no matter what I do.

Glenn

8. Conceptual, that seems correct to me.

Let's say we have a model which was public and buyable for some time.
    Let's say someone saved the permalink and/or the URL during this period.
    Then, one day, the designer decides to make the model private, but still buyable (for whatever reason^^).
    The permalink (and the "standard full URL" (www.shapeways.com/model/ModelNumber/ModelName) ) will stop working, but the designer will still be able to share the private link (i.e. the full URL, including the "key-part").

9. lensman
    Hhm, yes, that logically would make sense. But it begs the question, why bother having the permalink at all if it doesn't work?

Glenn

10. TOM_TOM_TOM
    TOM_TOM_TOM Well-Known Member
    Private link doesn't work for me either. I tried it with the key part.
    I set my model to private for sale.
    Has anyone actually gotten this to work?
    Thanks

11. stop4stuff
    stop4stuff Well-Known Member
    It looks like private links have been broken somehow in yesterday's update, as they worked the other day - I've left a notification about this issue in the right place.

Paul

12. TOM_TOM_TOM
    A customer told me today that he was able to see the private link, but was unable to add the item to his cart. I had to change it to public to allow him to add it.

13. lensman
    Exactly the problem I just had. Thankfully I saw your post first and have hopefully quickly corrected the problem.

Glenn

14. TOM_TOM_TOM
    Seems to work now.