Full validation before first purchase

Discussion in 'Materials' started by GeoBling, Dec 5, 2011.

1. GeoBling
    GeoBling Member
    There seem to be two validation steps when selling objects on Shapeways: First the file gets validated on upload, and then again after ordering. We recently had one of our country shapes pass the upload validation, but after putting in the order and paying, we received an email saying that the item cannot be printed.

Is there a way to get the full validation before ordering? We have a few shapes where we are pushing the design guidelines a little (with stainless steel) and would like to know if what we are doing is printable without having to order it. Is that possible?

2. Youknowwho4eva
    Youknowwho4eva Well-Known Member
    The first validation is a basic validation. It checks the file to see if it's printable (or if mesh medic can fix it), and it checks the bounding box to see what materials it's available in. The second check, when ordering, is for wall thickness, and other problems that may arise in printing. This is a manual check which is why it's only done at the time of order, and isn't as quick. Software is in development to be able to co a full check of your files at upload.

3. GeoBling
    GeoBling Member
    Can I send somebody a file to do the manual check? If it passes I know I can generate other files of the same style, if not I'll have to figure out something else.

4. Youknowwho4eva
    Youknowwho4eva Well-Known Member
    Right now the only way to do that is to order. You could try contacting service@shapeways.com they may be able to check without ordering.

5. duann
    duann Member
    Hey GeoBling,

When you upload the model there is the option to manually fix the file if there are errors.

This may help fix files but not help you learn where the issues are.

Kind regards.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2011
  6. stop4stuff
    stop4stuff Well-Known Member
    In the past, I have simply uploaded a model and asked Shapeways CS to take a look and get back to me with their opinion as to the printability - not that I'd recommend doing this too often as it adds to their workload. Also, sometimes, it is Shapeways production partners who have the final say as to the printability.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2011