Full Color Toon Figure Re-Print (Pics)

Discussion in 'My Shapeways Order Arrived' started by Brian123, Nov 29, 2011.

1. Brian123
    Brian123 Member
    UPDATE:

I received a re-print after putting in a complaint of the print shown below (quoted).

Click here to view new photos in a post below

The model was re-printed and shipped quickly, I'm very pleased with the results. Though, I never received an explanation why the bad print was shipped. Compared to the re-print, the first one was embarrassing to show people.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2011
  2. virtox
    virtox Active Member Moderator
    That doesn't look right!

Best to contact service@shapeways.com with your ordernr, short description of problem and one or two photo's clealry showing the problem.
    \
    They will sort you out in no-time!
    (give or take the holiday madness)

3. Brian123
    Brian123 Member
    Thanks for helping confirm my concern about this print. I'll contact them, thank you.

Also, my friend posted her copy here:
    https://www.shapeways.com/forum/index.php?t=msg&th=7257&a mp;start=0&

I'm glad her copy looks pretty good.

I wonder, does Shapeways do all their color prints in the same facility? Mine was shipped from New York, as I live in California, while my friend lives 3 miles from Shapeways in the Netherlands. Could her print been made at another location?

4. virtox
    virtox Active Member Moderator
    I am not sure about FCS production and how many suppliers there are for that.
    But yes, Shapeways is expanding to production on two continents so that could account for printing variations.

5. (split in 2 parts because of the number of pictures)

Here are some better photos of my figurine (the one located in NL), to show a comparison with Brian's. Mine definitely doesn't have as many issues as his. I ordered mine a few days later but we recieved them on the same day.

20110114-DSCF6882.jpg

As you can see it looks pretty smooth, the colors are nice and clean. One eartip got slightly damaged but I already expected that to happen, it's less than on his figurine though.

His:
    [​IMG]

Mine:
    [​IMG]

His:
    [​IMG]

Mine:
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

His:
    [​IMG]

The only place where some smudging appears on mine is on the right side of the muzzle and nose, but it's not nearly as noticable on his figurine. At first I didn't notice at all. One issue on mine that there is a white speck on the eye, however, luckily it's in such a place that it looks like it's supposed to be there. (the 'eyeshine' in the right eye).

[​IMG]

6. The layering is hardly visible. It's the most visible on the back, the belly looks completely smooth. Ofcourse it depends on the light, but even when I hold it in direct sunlight so you see the layering the most, it's still pretty subtle:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So all in all I'm very happy with my figurine! I hope Brian's problems get resolved and that we can work a bit on the model so the next one turns out even better.

[​IMG]

7. 9694_deleted
    9694_deleted Member
    Hey guys, just a heads up that I moved this thread over to the "It Arrived" section.

@Brian123 please keep us posted on what the support team says!

8. Brian123
    Brian123 Member
    Thanks Henrieke for taking the time to post those, really helpful. I just sent an e-mail to Shapeways about the issues, I hope they also agree they can do better than my print, especially after seeing your copy.

I'll post updates when I get them.

9. Brian123
    Brian123 Member
    It's being reprinted : -)

I got a response Wednesday that a compliant was filed right away so the production facility can have a look at it.

Today, Tuesday morning, I received an e-mail that a new order is in production. So I guess the production facility agreed and started a new print.

Didn't get to hear their thoughts, but glad a new print is on its way : )

10. Excellent. Hope the reprint is ok

11. Brian123
    Brian123 Member
    Re-print arrived. :eek: Wow, night and day, very pleased :D . Color is more accurate (Darker, Solid, Even, no Marks). Pictures will probably speak for themselves.

New print:

kiki-print-new.jpg

Comparison: Print lines are rougher on the back of the new one, but near perfect on the front, where it counts, so I'm happy with the quality. (For best comparison, view photo full size with 2nd link at bottom of post)

kiki-print-compare.jpg

New print mixed in with various toys. Fits in well.

kiki-print-toys.jpg

Last edited: Dec 15, 2011
  12. 9694_deleted
    9694_deleted Member
    Wow, exciting. I'm really happy everything worked out for you! :)