Pendant Cage

Discussion in 'My Shapeways Order Arrived' started by ceramicwombat, Nov 21, 2011.

1. ceramicwombat
    ceramicwombat Member
    The third iteration of my Pendant Cage arrived today. The first two versions didn't have enough wiggle room between the two halves to fit together without extensive grinding, but now the two halves fit together perfectly. I designed it for someone who wanted to carry a small meteorite fragment around their neck, and it will hold any small cylindrical object approximately 22mm long and 12mm in diameter.

The two halves are held together by the necklace cord. It is designed for a 1mm leather cord, but any cord under 1mm will work. The version on the left in the picture below is antique bronze polished, the one on the right is plain stainless steel.

PendantOutlined.jpg

Last edited: Nov 21, 2011
  2. This is super cool and enticing. It'd be great to see some added photos of it hanging on a neck or with an item inside. :)

3. ceramicwombat
    ceramicwombat Member
    Glad you like it! Here is a picture of it on a friend and containing an agate bead.

PendantTogether.jpg

4. GeoBling
    GeoBling Member
    This looks very cool! Good job on figuring out the clearance for the fit. Now I just need to get a meteorite fragment :)

I have a question: Isn't the minimal feature size for stainless steel 3mm? The thickness of the cage surely is less than 3mm?

5. ceramicwombat
    ceramicwombat Member
  6. LincolnK
    LincolnK Member
    Very cool design, and a great solution using the leather to hold it together.

I have a bunch of cage designs that use 2 parts, and I have been working on different ways to hold them together that doesn't require another piece of metal for the hinge. Not an easy task.

Bravo!

Lincoln
    www.Craftosterone.com

7. GeomatrixDesigns
    GeomatrixDesigns Active Member
    Love the mesh-detailing, very nice. :)

8. 9694_deleted
    9694_deleted Member
    I agree with Lincoln, what a great way to get around the "no moving parts issue". :)

9. lensman
    lensman Well-Known Member

Hhmm, you may not be able to do that when Shapeways introduces their automatic thin-wall detecting software in which case it will be kicked out as unprintable...

Glenn

10. ceramicwombat
    ceramicwombat Member
    Yep, the impending thin-wall detecting software is causing me a bit of anxiety.

11. 9694_deleted
    9694_deleted Member
    Hey Glenn,

I mentioned in your previous thread that we're already considering the dynamics of this for the community and are going to proceed carefully. Providing a grace period for you to change you designs, or creating the occasional permanent exceptions are both likely.

I'm not suggesting it doesn't make sense to be vigilant, but it seems you're getting a little upset about this thing that doesn't even exist yet.

Since we want to execute on it in a way that is good for both Shapeways and the community, why not dream up a few suggestions and put them in Uservoice?

.....Ok, back to Chuck's regularly programmed thread.

12. lensman
    lensman Well-Known Member
    No, I'm not upset. Just peeved that I lost sales because printable designs suddenly became unprintable.... And taking that a step further I projected when the afore-mentioned new thin-wall detecting software kicks in Shapeways is suddenly going to be kicking back designs that were previously printable. Having a grace period to change designs is all well and good but if we don't KNOW those designs will fail how will we know to re-design them?

I wouldn't have known on my latest two rejections, for example.

Shapeways has to do what it has to do in order to become a better company and I don't begrudge them that at all. I just foresee problems unless, for example, all pre-existing designs are allowed to stand as is.

Glenn