A question for expert modellers.

Discussion in '3D Design Requests' started by goido, Nov 21, 2011.

1. goido
    goido Member
    I was warned about Poser models being virtually impossible to print but I also got advice with Meshlab and Netfabb. I created a character based on Poser Michael, I exported it as an OBJ file, I imported it in Meshlab and use filter- cleaning- remove duplicated vertex and then save it as a STL file; then I imported it into Netfabb where I healed-repair, I got a green file ( good! ) and uploaded to Shapeways that found this unfixable error. Triangles with mixed winding order found (inverted normals) "
    I know they use mesh medic and a manual fix but of course with a little more complex problem they don't have the time. I tried to do something in Blender but it is very hard for a unexperience user. The model came as a spec of nothing and when I save it as a obj it did not import right into any 3d package.

Well here is the file. Any ideas?

Attached Files:

2. You have 1034 folded triangles, 1669 intersected triangles and
    7121 overlapped ones :)

Basically what that means is your mesh is very unclean, you could try poisson remeshing in meshlab, but it'll give a clean and smooth mesh which is not what you're after i guess.

If you want to retain the glitchiness you can remove the intersecting faces and clean them up manually in a 3d software like Blender.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2011
  3. goido
    goido Member
    Thanks, where do I find poison remeshing? Doesit kill all the features? I just downloaded Blender and it is not very intuitive, the file came as a dot and Only after rescaling and zooming I saw it, I save it as an obj in Blender bit it did not import right in Bryce.

4. If you look at the head in Netfabb you can see that the surface is very rough:

[​IMG]

Zooming in, this is the area around the nose and an eye - there are a lot of intersecting triangles clashing with each other.

[​IMG]

Here's the eye again.

[​IMG]

I had a quick go at cleaning it up in Blender, but it seemed that huge areas had to be deleted to sort out the messy bits.

Sorry I can't be more helpful,

Paul

5. goido
    goido Member
    OMG it looks as even with lots of expertise in Blender, which I don't have, it is an impossible task?

6. goido
    goido Member
    I really thought this dude would make a great stailess steel antique bronze statue.

Attached Files:

7. Oh! I thought it was meant to be some sort of abstract head.
    It looks like you need to massively increase the resolution / number of faces. Never used Poser before though so I'm not sure how you'd go about doing that.

8. goido
    goido Member
    Does Meshlab or Netfabb or even Blender could do this? The increasing of the resolution?

9. It can't really be done retrospectively to the existing STL due to all the clashing faces etc. I think you need to try exporting it from Poser again - perhaps try exporting as a Collada file instead, then convert that to STL in Meshlab.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2011
  10. First say what you want to achieve, a glitchy model or a smooth one and the glitchiness is not welcome.

11. goido
    goido Member
    I would like a smooth one , I have the original OBJ file from Poser.

Attached Files:

12. That looks much better - it looks great in Meshlab and Blender.

[​IMG]

The eyelashes are problematic though - still lots of clashing there. Can you get rid of them in Poser prior to export - and get rid of the eyeballs too if possible?

13. goido
    goido Member
    Ok, now I am confused, Don't I need a STL file for 3D printing? Was the conversion to STL what killed the file?

14. Yes, STL is one of the file formats you can use for 3D printing. I don't know what happened when you tried converting it to STL, it worked fine when I tried with Meshlab.

15. goido
    goido Member
    Wow!!! Does Shapeways accepts OBJ? I tried the filter remove duplicated vertex because I read it in the forums perhaps I should have left it alone.

16. Your mesh has overlapping parts so it's not printable without cleaning anyway.

17. goido
    goido Member
    Is the obj easier to clean than the stl?

18. I doesn't matter, unless say poser exports them differently.

19. goido
    goido Member
    Ok, reaching for straws here, I rexported the file, Poser would not let me delete the eyes or lashes so I did in Bryce and increase the resolution there. Probably the body is still with problems. Which program do you recommend for clean up?

Attached Files: