One-sided die

Discussion in 'My Shapeways Order Arrived' started by Magic, Nov 19, 2011.

1. Magic
    Magic Well-Known Member
    Hi,

I wanted to show you something more interesting that it could seem: the one-sided Truncated Sphere die (aka D1):
    [​IMG]

Of course, you could consider it completly useless (and probably you would be right), but I would add that it is hollow and weighted, so that it always stops on the flat face (that is at the opposite of the number "1").

And the interesting thing is that the escape hole is too small for the support material to actually escape! It works because the un-sintered powder (the support material) that is trapped inside has a lower density than the sintered material.

To demonstrate this difference of density i designed two cubes:
    [​IMG]
    one is solid and the other is hollow (once again, with no hole large enough for the support meterial to escape).
    As soon as i find my @#$%! precision scale, I will calculate both densities and let you know.

If you want to test if materials other than Strong and Flexible have this property, the cubes are available for sale with no markup (and available for download).

2. stannum
    stannum Well-Known Member
    The data sheet says bulk density 0.45 g/cm3, density of laser-sintered part 0.93 g/cm3. Alumide also has that property, but with one extra twist, one floats and the other sinks in water.

3. Magic
    Magic Well-Known Member
    Thanks Stannum.
    I finally found my precision scale, and my experimental results are:
    - density of sintered material: 0.97
    - density of support powder: 0.43
    which is very close from your data.
    This should allow me to optimize the D1...

4. Magic
    Magic Well-Known Member