Intricate Skull Design

Discussion in 'My Shapeways Order Arrived' started by GeomatrixDesigns, Nov 10, 2011.

1. GeomatrixDesigns
    GeomatrixDesigns Active Member
    Shapeways is so cool :cool: , really happy with this Skull design. It's 2.9 inches long, this is the "small" version, also available in Extra Small, Medium and Large. Holiday pricing is $17.12 for a small version in White Strong & Flexible Polished material through Shapeways.

Getting this design created and receiving it a day before Remembrance Day means something to me as I remember my loved ones who are no longer with us, and everyone else who fought and died defending our Freedom. I hope and pray that 3D printing technology with the help of Shapeways and others helps to transform the world, to help the poor and needy, with the hope that one day there will be no more war, and everyone will have what they need to live.

https://www.shapeways.com/model/353228/

cageskull005_copy.jpg

cageskull008_copy.jpg

cageskull007_copy.jpg
    cageskull003_copy.jpg
    cageskull001_copy.jpg

Last edited: Nov 10, 2011
  2. GeomatrixDesigns
  3. 9694_deleted
    9694_deleted Member
    Hey Sheila, really striking!

Is there any particular story behind the design?

4. roofoo
    roofoo Well-Known Member
  5. GeomatrixDesigns
    Hi Ana, thanks. :) This is Matthew, Sheila Munro's brother. I make designs for her business Dropping Form Designs on facebook.

This design is inspired by the Day of The Dead celebration and sugar skull designs in South-American culture. Also inspired by all of the wonderful 3d-printed "mesh" art I've seen. I have some raven skull designs available in the same style.

Here's a look at the 3 different sizes in WSF material:

3skulls02_copy.jpg

6. LincolnK
    LincolnK Member
    Of course all these skulls (including the kickstarter) all remind me a lot of my "Skullpture" that was in the friday finds here on SW before the famous kickstarter skull was started..

https://www.shapeways.com/blog/blog.php?serendipity%5Baction% 5D=search&serendipity%5BsearchTerm%5D=skullpture&ser endipity%5BsearchButton%5D=%3E

This is one of the downsides of Shapeways and other sites that make it easy to make derivative works. Anyone can see a design, and then make their own version of it. This is one reason I am not posting a lot of my designs on here any more.

7. GeomatrixDesigns
    Hi novaking, although I really like your sculpture I have never seen it before and most definitely did not copy it. You may have noticed in my shop that I have many skulls available including a solid skull and a solid "Sugar Skull" design. Those items are not very popular and cost a fair amount to produce... so having been inspired by all of the 3D mesh art I've seen on Shapeways and elsewhere I added cut-out detailing to that same skull design... not only to reduce the price to produce but also make a more stylish sculpture. I have done the same with a Raven Skull... Since the price changes with Shapeways I'm finding it to be more reasonable to find ways to reduce overall material usage... while still making something detailed & stylish. I'm sorry if you feel you've been copied, yet there are lots of mesh-styled works of art on Shapeways that have been part of my inspiration, showing me what's possible, such as the mesh rings, cuffs, etc. Not only that but I am inspired by lots of "skull art" from different cultures. Speaking for myself I hope all of my work serves as inspiration for everyone, just as this wonderful community has been an incredible inspiration to my family, friends and I. I love this community. I am working on a Bear Skull mesh version right now for the same reasons as listed above. I would like to be free to make any artwork I please and gain inspiration from my community. Not to blatantly copy my community.... but to gain insight and inspiration from my community as I begin to fully understand what's possible with this wonderful service Shapeways is offering. As an artist since I was a child I have never drawn a single thing without having some sort of reference to go by, whether it be a photograph, physical object, landscape or even someone elses drawing. I gain my inspiration from everywhere, and that is my life as an artist.

Here's an example of a seahorse necklace I've made, I hope everyone who has made seahorse necklaces in the past is not offended. I'm sure someone on Earth, or maybe even on this site has made a seahorse necklace... but I haven't seen one.

seahorseskissing03.jpg