Finally Got My Design Input to Google Sketchup

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 74712_deleted, Nov 7, 2011.

1. 74712_deleted
    74712_deleted Member
    Finally figured out how to use Google sketchup to input my design . What do I do now, can I send the sketchup file to shapeways to get a quote on whether they can make it or not or do I have to run some more software over it before it can be fed to the 3D printer machines?

2. Once the model in Sketchup is scaled correctly and is "Solid" (via the Entity Info window), then just export as DAE and upload to Shapeways for a quote. DAE usually works and is nice because its a native export option, but if you have trouble you can use this STL exporter for free.

If you need a color 3D print, then you'll need to get Meshlab and use this tutorial.

Hope that helps!

3. 74712_deleted
    74712_deleted Member
    Thanks Marcus

I managed to create an STL file using Meshlab but will try it with the DAE file first.

HG

4. Is the only way to make an entity "solid" in Sketchup by making it a component?

5. Short answer, yes. Or you can make it a group, basically the same thing as far as 'solids' go.

Longer answer, making the entity a component OR group is the only way Sketchup will tell you its "Solid". Now if you build the model correctly (manifold) without making it a component, it will still be "Solid" from Shapeways' perspective when you upload it.

Does that make sense?

6. Sure does. Now its only an irrational fear that my model's edges are the only things to be sintered and it'll just fall apart in front of the poor Netherlander who's time I had just wasted ;]

7. Great, glad that got cleared up! :laughing: