Commission: Blocks With Inscribed Alien Glyphs

Discussion in '3D Design Requests' started by 113503_deleted, Nov 4, 2011.

1. Hello,

I'm a physical modeler that is dazzled by the possibilities of 3D printing but too busy to teach himself how to use the programs available. I am seeking a 3D sculptor to create eleven block filess for print.

Most of my projects are for tabletop wargaming and I create terrain with blocks cast from Hirst Arts molds. I am working on a model project that needs blocks inscribed with simulated alien glyphs. The actual shape of the glyphs is not important and the artist can use their own imagination as long as they follow the general rules I have listed.

I have attached a drawing with the basic outline of what I am looking for. The original was created in Microsoft Visio (vector graphic compatible) and I can send the file if it would be helpful. If the specifications I have requested are not compatible with shapeways printing process, please make suggestions as to what changes will make the plan work.

Please contact me with any questions, or if you are interested in the project, please respond with a proposed price, estimated length of time to create the files, terms of payment and disposition of rights.

You can contact me through the forum or directly through email at: rwwingate@comcast.net

If this project is successful, I plan on commissioning an additional 10-20 blocks of different shapes.

Thank you for looking,

Roger

EDIT: I had an error in the original drawing and have uploaded a corrected version.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 4, 2011
  2. mctrivia
    mctrivia Well-Known Member
    email sent. Do you have a trutype font for the glyphs? Any meaning needed?

3. As far as I know, there no font of this type exists.

To give some background, these glyphs are meant to simulate something similar to the glyphs from the Necron race of the Warhammer 40,000 universe by Games Workshop. I've attached a photo at the bottom of examples of the script.

As these are copyright material of Games Workshop, I'm looking for something that looks similar but doesn't infringe on the original.

I will look into how hard it might be to create a font.

[​IMG]

4. 28396_deleted
    28396_deleted Member
    no need for fonts you can use alpha as a brush

5. mctrivia
    another option is I could laser cut a half inch sheet of plywood with the images provided would cost a lot less then getting 3D printed. Unless you were planning to get mass produced as injection molded pieces later on.

Never mind these blocks are really small.

1 of each block would be roughly 43cc in WSF that would cost you $60

So I guess it would cost less if you need more then 1 as it would cost $200+shipping for a 24x12" sheet which works out to 60 of each if my math is correct.

6. I would be open to laser cutting.

I plan to make a silicon mold of the masters, so the source material is unimportant as long as it is smooth enough to cast.

Could you use MDF instead of plywood? I wouldn't want to see the layers of the plywood.

7. mctrivia
    can laser cut pretty much any material even metal but metal is expensive. however the laser cut will not be deep on the inscribing so would not work as silicon master. It gets burned black not engraved deep.

8. 28396_deleted
    28396_deleted Member
    if it's for casting make the blocks hollow - it will make them cheaper to print with white Detail material or better with FUD

9. mctrivia
    true enough, 3d printing small blocks will not be expensive.

10. 0.4" wide glyph lines & a 0.3125" line height ?

0.4" deep ?

Seriously ? [​IMG]

WH40K is 28mm scale... 0.04" sounds better to me...

11. Sorry for the error.

Line height = .04"

Depth = .04"

I'll change the drawing in the original post.

Those dimensions are driven by what I can comfortably paint and ink, if that is not achievable with the printing process I can change the dimensions.

12. mctrivia
    .04" is 1mm this is very easily printable.

13. 28396_deleted
    28396_deleted Member
    I attach a rough cut STL file
    one face is negative the opposite is positive - 1mm deep/high for rough evaluation (not cleaned)

If this is what you had in mind (with or without lines) msg me with your budget for this project, i might take it.

Attached Files:

14. I'm sorry for the lack of experience with this but I don't have a program that can open STL files.

15. mctrivia
    Netfabb light

16. Can't await to see the painted battlefield. ^^

\edit
    updated STL
    positive & negative side, both with 1/10 draft

Attached Files:

17. Thanks to everyone who submitted offers and advice. I have set up an agreement with an artist and am moving forward. This was my first thread at this board and I want to say what a pleasant little corner of the internet this place is.

Thanks to all.

Roger

18. Asphalt
    Asphalt Member
    I am interested in these glyph blocks as well. Have any models been produced or uploaded?

19. Yes. Cre83d did a great job on the models and I had them printed. They arrived a few days ago and I have a silicone mold of the masters curing as we speak. I should be able to cast the mold by tomrrow.

Here's some background on my project as well as some shots of the printed blocks:

http://thecolorblindmodelpainter.blogspot.com/

20. Asphalt
    Asphalt Member
    Are the models available for purchase here? Or will be an un-sandblasted set be available elsewhere?