Silver Print Turned Black over time

Discussion in 'Materials' started by eSculpt, Nov 3, 2011.

1. eSculpt
    eSculpt Member
    Hi, a silver ring I had printed turned black over time, but only on a specific piece, that looks like it could've been painted like that professionally, because the line of it is so straight. A printing error? Or just a side effect of the casting process that can be cleaned off? If the latter, what should be used to clean it as to not damage the ring?

Thanks

2. BillBedford
    BillBedford Member
    Silver turns black because there is sulphur in the atmosphere. Which means just about anywhere close to modern life. The fact that you have a straight line on your piece is probably a quirk of the air circulation in the room that it is in.
    There are many products on the market specially formulated for cleaning silver.

3. eSculpt
    eSculpt Member
    but the the line is mirrored by a perfectly symmetrical line on the other side of the ring? that and the lines arent on the exposed side of the ring, there almost on the inside. that and it hasnt been more than a month since i got the ring, and im sure this sulfur effect doesnt happen in like 3 weeks (not to pitch black at least?). but I'll get some silver cleaner and give it a go.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2011
  4. Youknowwho4eva
    Youknowwho4eva Well-Known Member
    Interesting, do you have any images of the effect? Before and after could help. I'll email Nancy to see if she can offer any incite.

5. eSculpt
    eSculpt Member
    i'll get a photo of after tomorrow, and i still have some of before, so i'll show you guys asap. it's a strange thing to be honest, but i dont think its a serious problem, im sure it can just be cleaned off (i hope)

6. BillBedford
    BillBedford Member
    Mmm interesting, you didn't say it was a ring.....

Do you use hand lotion or something similar? if so check that they haven't got sulphites in them. These used as anti-oxidants in a lot of foods and cosmetics.

7. eSculpt
    eSculpt Member
    thats an idea, but it didnt go black all along where it would contact the finger, but only in 2 perfect lines along the edges.

8. Youknowwho4eva
    Youknowwho4eva Well-Known Member
    The part the perplexes me the most is, the silver isn't printed in layers. The wax is, and then they do a lost wax casting so it shouldn't be possible to have layering of potential different materials. My guess without seeing it would be a layer that was slightly lower than the rest of the faces so that dirt could collect in there.

9. stannum
    stannum Well-Known Member
    Maybe they get coated with something, and the lines are the holders used while applying? The Steel-Bronze parts get an acrylic coat after Gold plating, so maybe Silver is also getting some kind of protection.

10. eSculpt
    eSculpt Member
    hey guys so sorry for taking long with these photos.

here is the before image

DSC_0378.jpg

11. eSculpt
    eSculpt Member
    and here is after

DSC_0461.jpg

12. eSculpt
    eSculpt Member
    and another

DSC_0478.jpg

13. 20201_deleted
    20201_deleted Member
    My guess is that you laid the band down on a surface that had a trace of some reactive chemistry on it. Even a minute amount of the right sort of vapor will cause this reaction. Amazing symmetry though eh?

-G

14. SGDesigns
    SGDesigns Member
    I have some oxidizing gel that is sulfur based, I use it to give my silver an antique look. This looks a lot tike sulfur. Water mixed with baking soda will remove any sulfur. GlenG makes a good point, the ring looks like it was laid on a surface with liquid that reacted with the silver.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2011