Shakuhachi Flute

Discussion in 'My Shapeways Order Arrived' started by GeomatrixDesigns, Nov 2, 2011.

1. GeomatrixDesigns
    GeomatrixDesigns Active Member
    Here's a look at a small 9.4 inch-long Glossy Antique Bronze Shakuhachi flute. It's an F key flute. I'm so happy with Shapeways right now. :)

dragonflute009.jpg

dragonflute008.jpg

dragonflute007.jpg

Last edited: Nov 2, 2011
  2. claytondb
    claytondb Member
    That is so incredibly cool... I don't even know what to say. Good job! How much did it cost?

3. Incredible model! Does it work as a flute? If so, any chance of a video so we can hear it?

4. GeomatrixDesigns
    Thanks guys! The flute in Glossy Antique Bronze costs around $140 to produce, I'm willing to let them go for $200 through Shapeways. I'm curious about some of the other materials, maybe frosted ultra-detail would work for something like this? And yes, it works as a flute. :) I'll definitely be posting a video soon. :)

Last edited: Nov 2, 2011
  5. virtox
    virtox Active Member Moderator
    Amazing! Can't wait for the video! :)

6. duann
    duann Member
    Very Cool,

Please do post a video of it being played.

I love Shakuhachi

I would recommend against putting any of the detail materials in your mouth...

7. lensman
    lensman Well-Known Member
    Yikes, that looks good. Hopefully you have no metal allergies/reactions when playing that!

Glenn

8. GeomatrixDesigns
    Lol Duann, yes of course. Mouthpiece on a Shakuhachi just kindof rests below your bottom lip, not like a regular flute, it's a lot harder to play as you know. :) It might be interesting to do a combination of materials, one material for a removable mouthpiece, and another for the flute itself. I may also use bamboo mouthpieces.

9. duann
    duann Member
    Yeah, I vote for the Bamboo mouthpiece unless you have a serious protective layer of beard...

Please do post a video so we can blog it..

10. GeomatrixDesigns
    Here's a short video of the flute being played by my old man. :) Not the best recording, but at least shows that the flute plays.

This video may not be good enough quality to be blogging material, if not please just let me know. I'm going to work on getting a really good video soon. :)

The flute's quite loud even without a microphone, I can't wait to get a larger version.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Erh6-MGaiFE

Edit: Thanks so much for blogging this Duann and everyone on the Shapeways Team!!! Without you this design and others would only exist in my imagination! :) You're the best!

Last edited: Nov 19, 2011