I did something wrong?

Discussion in 'Design and Modeling' started by Jettuh, Feb 24, 2009.

1. Jettuh
    Jettuh Well-Known Member
    Hi all,

i've just created a test model because i've got some problems with the min. 2mm thickness.

so i created this thing:

[​IMG]
    so the object is took as much material out of the inside, but left the rest so it had still a wall of 2mm thickness (well that's what my 3ds max says)

[​IMG]

but i'm bit confused if i'm doing right or not,
    because of this:

Size
    Height 3.0 cm
    Width 2.6 cm
    Depth 2.4 cm

$ 10.60
    price Inc VAT & shipping

--

the object is not that big! but it's still $10.60?
    is that normal or isn't 3ds max telling the truth to me about the 2mm thickness

--

somebody has got any idea how to get this small object cheaper?

Thanx in advance for any help!
    mitchell

Attached Files:

2. 16672_deleted
    16672_deleted Member
    I have great powers of making oversimplification way too complicated, but hopefully this will help:

Consider: x*y*z, we have 5 sides at 2mm thick: two width*height*thickness, two depth*height*thickness, and one width*depth*thickness

2(0.2(x*z))+2(0.2(y*z))+0.2(x*y)

With your dimensions, ignoring the extra detail/angles (those add more volume), that calculates to 7.248 cm3, or $13.55 in SWF. With a 25% discount before Feb 28, that's $10.17, which is close to what you have here, and the extra is from the detail/other stuff I can't easily represent.

You could try narrowing your wall thickness to 1mm if you're careful. Keep in mind the minimum order amount also of $25.

3. Jettuh
    Jettuh Well-Known Member
    Hi there Loonsbury.

allready made objects with 1mm thickness
    but got an email twice now that the production is cancelled (the last time it was cancelled they didn't put any info in the email)

but the first time they said the wall thickness was below 2mm so it couldn't be made, even if i made it in WSF (i've orderd them in WD)

But as i hear correctly, these are the right prices, and so on, those small objects are quite expensive (made them for modelrailways, but if it's this expensive, don't think people want to have it)

4. Jettuh
    Jettuh Well-Known Member
    something else i just read at the material options page:

it says 0.2mm for minimal detail!
    so why isn't the 0.2mm a good size for wall thickness?
    if it's a box without inside, but just 0.2mm thickness everywhere! why doesn't that will do?

5. 16672_deleted
    16672_deleted Member
    0.2mm is the minimum detail that will show up, but 2mm is the minimum wallthickness for strength reasons. I may be making this up, but I think 1mm is the minimum wallthickness for SWF.

6. robert
    robert Member
    Hi,

Actually the machine is capable of producing models with a wall thickness of 0.7mm. The issue that we are not able to handle, package and ship it to you in one piece.

The recommended wall thickness is 1-2mm. The difference between the lower and higher is determined by the operator based on the actual model. It depends on the surface area and the existence or lack of support structures. It is not an exact science.

You may have noticed that we are a bit more strict nowadays on the minimum wall thickness. We would like to avoid misprints, broken models upon arrival etc. etc.

- Robert

7. Jettuh
    Jettuh Well-Known Member
    Hi Robbert,

that's allright, thank you for the info!
    but is therre a possibility that in the future that it will be "possible" to let things be printed on 0.7mm?

at the moment my picture above has a wallthickness of 2mm, i think if it will be possible to get it printed (i know it's possible, but the shipping and stuff) in 1mm?
    this because i think it will reduce the price a lot, right?

thing is that it was meant to be for model railroads, but if it's allready $10 (about 7euro) to get one of those small things, it's to expensive for a lot of people for just "that"

no offense, hehe, just a question.

Mitchell

ps. yesterday i received a UPS message, that they are sending it as we speak!
    i'll show you the result when it's finished

8. robert
    robert Member
    Hi Mitchell,

You can ask whatever you like. No problem.

We really would like you to enable to print models to maximum of the capabilities of the printers. Though we need some time to figure out how to deal with specific situations.
    Just imagine thousands and thousands of objects and each of them with a different geometry and then try to develop a cleaning, handling, packaging and shipment strategy which produces reliable results in all cases. It is not easy. But we made good progress in the last couple of months, but we are not completely there yet.

I can just ask you to be a little bit patient. We will get there.

Cheers!

Robert