Blender subsurf non-manifold problem...

Discussion in 'Design and Modeling' started by 398_deleted, Feb 23, 2009.

1. 398_deleted
    398_deleted Member
    Hello... I've been running into some problems with a model I'm trying to prepare... in Blender.

It's a low poly model that has subsurf applied but before I upload to print I Alt+C to convert the modifiers leaving me with a high-poly model.

While it's in low-poly mode it's easy to handle and I can see what's going on... when it's in high-poly mode there's verts all over the place and I find it difficult to see what's going on.

My model is being returned with a "Only manifold objects can be printed" problem and I'm trying to find the problems using Select > Non-manifold and I can't see anything. However, in low-poly mode there are no 'doubles' but once converted there are several hundred.

I assume I have to convert the modifiers first but to what level?! My guess is I'm going too high. My model is about 80,000 polys.

Any other ideas greatly appreciated.

2. daddymack
    daddymack Member
    Hi albinal, if you upload the model as an .obj I'll have a look at it for you

3. ArMOO
    ArMOO Member
    Hi daddymack,
    If you can't fix it ( what I actually doubt ) I can try to fix the obj. or stl.
    But I only can do tonight or tomorrow morning, I'll be out for a few days.

Greetings Arjan Moors

or arjanmoors@hotmail.com

4. bartv
    bartv Member
    Hey Albinal,

I can check out the .blend file for you as well, if you like. If you don't want to post it here, you can also mail it to service@shapeways.com.

Cheers,

Bart

5. 398_deleted
    398_deleted Member
    Ok, many thanks! Here it is...

I know the wrapped text might be a bit of a problem and it's a bit messy but I'm hoping the imperfections are too small to show up when it's printed. But you've got more experience so maybe you can tell me!?!

Cheers!

Attached Files:

6. 398_deleted
    398_deleted Member
    Ok Bart... here's the blend. Layer 1 has the model low-poly with a lattice to deform it and layer 2 it's high-poly and the right size for printing (I think!?!)... though I won't be sure until it's successfully uploaded.

Much appreciated!

Attached Files:

7. bartv
    bartv Member
    I actually did find 8 non-manifold edges in the 'hat'. Here's the fixed model, enjoy!

Bart

PS: if you want to read the .STL back in Blender, be sure to do a 'remove doubles' after importing.

Attached Files:

8. 398_deleted
    398_deleted Member
    Cool... thanks Bart! What do you think about the website text on the back? How well do you think it'll print?

Many thanks for helping! :p

9. 398_deleted
    398_deleted Member
    Also, I uploaded the STL you gave me which was a success... however, it was too small. I brought it back into Blender, removed the doubles and re-scaled it... uploaded it again and it failed... though I'm not sure why as Gmail is down at the mo!

What am I doing wrong?

10. bartv
    bartv Member
    Hey Albinal,

what was the error this time? Non-manifold again? To check for non-manifoldness, enter editmode in Blender, deselect all faces and press CTRL+ALT+SHIFT+M.

Feel free to mail me your file again and I'll fix it up for you :)

Cheers,

Bart