Why is my design so expensive to print?

Discussion in 'Design and Modeling' started by 110545_deleted, Oct 20, 2011.

1. I had an idea for something last night, so I drew it up in Sketchup and uploaded it to see what it'd cost to get printed.

The first time I uploaded it, I accidentally made it solid, so it was understandably pretty pricey to print, but even after hollowing it out, it's still nearly $100. Is that typical for something around 10x3.8x25cm? Is my design just too big to be cost effective to print?

Solid version
    </a>

Hollowed version
    <a href="https://www.shapeways.com/model/361807/patrol2.html?gid=ug" target="_blank">

2. duann
    duann Member
    Hi, that sounds about right, depending on the object and wall thickness.

3. Alright well I guess I just had a different idea of how much that much material would cost...seems like another option might be less cost prohibitive.

4. dynath
    dynath Member
    Material cost is cubic. You double the dimensions, you multiply the cost by itself 3 fold. Thus it scales extremely quickly when you are dealing with large models.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2011
  5. Dragoman
    Dragoman Member
    Actually, if you double all dimensions, the volume grows 8-fold (2 to the third power).

Volume is length x width x height, so by doubling them all you get 2 x 2 x 2 = 8 times the volume.

Greetings
    Karl Heinz