Spider Earrings

Discussion in 'My Shapeways Order Arrived' started by 24776_deleted, Oct 17, 2011.

1. 24776_deleted
    24776_deleted Member
    Hi shapers,

They made it in the big wine and spirits store as Halloween accessories
    IMAG0250.jpg
    IMAG0251.jpg
    IMAG0252.jpg
    IMAG0253.jpg

Sorry about some of the blury images, my hands were shaky from all that coffee I had to drink to attach those hooks

Cheers!

2. duann
    duann Member
    Very cool,

Glowing under UV light... Nice touch.

Good luck with the sales.

3. 24776_deleted
    24776_deleted Member
    Thank you

4. roofoo
    roofoo Well-Known Member
    What Shapeways material glows under UV light? Or did you coat these with something that glows?

5. 24776_deleted
    24776_deleted Member
    All of the white materials do, especially strong white and flexible. I happened to show my wine stopper at a nightclub one night, and It had a really cool effect, you know like people's teeth, eyes and white shirts. I'll go take some picture's tonight and post them.

6. 24776_deleted
    24776_deleted Member
    Look you may be right, I went and bought a black light and it does glow, but its a dim purple. It does not glow the same as fabric, Thank you so much for pointing that out. now I need to paint all of them with something. I don't know what kind of light they had at this club, but it was not the same as any uv. Check back this blog, I'll come up with something to make them glow a lot. Thanks again and sorry for all the ecxitement

7. 24776_deleted
    24776_deleted Member
    Alright, I apologize to everyone who got excited about the glowing material. I had a piece made from the zcorb printer, which did glow, but that was not white strong and flexible. It was that starch base white powder stuff.

Here are the earrings after I painted them with luminous acrylic paint:
    Spider earrings.jpg

8. Damn, too late. ^^

I wanted suggest to give the spiders a bath in laundry detergent.
    It are the whiteners (like "Stilben") in the detergent which glow under UV-A. (That's why white t-shirts look whiter in sunlight. ^^) And since WSF is a bit porous it should soak them...

9. lensman
    lensman Well-Known Member
    A question about the earring fittings: Did you have to buy those or did SW provide them? The reason I ask is I thought all earring models had to have a hole for the fittings to go through, but yours seem to be jump rings that you would have to open and close yourself.

Glenn

10. erckgillis
    erckgillis Member
  11. 24776_deleted
    24776_deleted Member
    I bought them myself

12. 24776_deleted
    24776_deleted Member
    These frogs are amazing, thank you so much for providing this info

13. 24776_deleted
    24776_deleted Member
    These frogs are amazing, thank you so much for providing this info