Problems with model processing [solved]

Discussion in 'Official Announcements' started by barrys, Oct 12, 2011.

1. barrys
    barrys Shapeways Employee Dev Team
    Currently we encounter problems with our model processing.
    All model uploads fail with the message:
    "unknown size"

We're investigating this, until that is sorted out all processing of model uploads is postponed.

Sorry for any inconvenience,

Barry

Last edited: Oct 13, 2011
  2. barrys
    Model upload problems are solved and I just entered the ones that failed with the message "Unknown size" to the queue again.
    These will be processed again.

Best,

Barry

3. mctrivia
    mctrivia Well-Known Member
    Glad you fixed quickly but why did it break in the first place? Made update without testing again?

4. 28396_deleted
    28396_deleted Member
    @mctrivia when is your birthday coming? i'm going to 3d print you a horsewhip :D

5. mctrivia
    LOL. not until February. I don't know if that is the reason. There are lots of reasons something can break. It is just the most likely. I can only hope that if I keep saying it enough someone will get it in there head that testing is important or someone will get fired and someone that can put proper testing procedures can get put in there place. If anything is going to sink shapeways it is likely going to be there lack of testing.

Not testing results:
    *unhappy customers
    *loss in sales because people can't do what they need
    *reduced security - if you are not testing you open your self up to all kinds of attacks that can take advantage of the broken code
    *loss of trust - how can I trust shapeways to keep my private stuff safe, actually pay me for sales made, ect when tomorow they could upload a bunch of new code that allows everyone to download my model stl files, add a bug that stops recording sales, shows people my printing costs/markup
    *litigation - some bugs like not showing units of measurmnet properly, showing one price then changing once added to cart, ect could cause shapeways to get sued.

And I am sure there are many more I can't think of. If things keep going the way they have over the last month the shapeways programers are going to kill shapeways. Safe guards against these mistakes must be put in place NOW and failure to fallow these safe guards should mean termination.

6. 28396_deleted
    28396_deleted Member
    I hear you.. last time i wrote an email to shapeways chief IT about bad stuff going on with my sales he "left" shapeways few days later.. So i gave up on ever figuring out shapeways long ago

- I turned my shop to "for show only" , no item is for sale

I'll return to the game when i feel the plain-field is FAIR and i'm wanted as a designer around here with no sales bugs of any kind.. or.. not.

But here is to you Don Quichotte! :D

7. ceramicwombat
    ceramicwombat Member
    Dizingof, why do you feel the playing-field is not fair? I'm just curious.

8. robert
    robert Member
    Dizingof, I was not aware I left Shapeways.

9. mctrivia
    pretty sure he means horst

Last edited: Oct 15, 2011
  10. 28396_deleted
    28396_deleted Member

This should give you some idea..

https://www.shapeways.com/forum/index.php?t=msg&&th=5 616&goto=32646#msg_32646

On this blog about you, see the comments..

https://www.shapeways.com/blog/archives/787-The-Dizzying-Dema nd-for-Dungeons-Dragons-Dice.html

Also this:
    https://www.shapeways.com/forum/index.php?t=msg&&th=6 157&goto=33050#msg_33050

plenty more about "sales bugs" of the same if you do a search on the forum with my username..

Regrettably it "happens" only on my shop/account...
    Someone at shapeways must like me a lot...

11. 28396_deleted
    28396_deleted Member
    upload issues again? i uploaded few models none is showing up nor did i received any email about any issue.. just the thank you email

12. 28396_deleted
    28396_deleted Member
    Anyone else isn't seeing new uploads?

4 new uploads , 3 yesterday.. and still cant see them nor received an email .. :confused

13. TomZ
    TomZ Member
    Yes, I've been waiting for 48 hours now for a model I dearly want to get up for sale.

14. Kasss_Gnarl
    Kasss_Gnarl Member
    I have just uploaded a model and it has gone through without any issues. Might be worth giving one of your uploads another shot.

15. mctrivia
    I have had some go through and some fail. Uploaded a 900k triangle model and just got an email thanking me. Nothing more and still not in shop after 8 hours

16. stonysmith
    stonysmith Well-Known Member Moderator
    For what it's worth, over the past two days, I've uploaded many (small) models, and have had no problem.

17. 28396_deleted
    28396_deleted Member
    So the issue seems to be with the 900k triangles models... mine are 900k+

18. I've also been having the same problem. Uploaded several models Friday afternoon and received conformation of the upload, but nothing telling me the models were accepted or rejected. High triangle counts, too.

19. Kasss_Gnarl
    Kasss_Gnarl Member
    Should mention that my model has a low triangle count.

20. barrys
    Hi all,

there were indeed some problems with large model uploads due to heavy load on the server. (since Friday afternoon) The database connection timed out for long calculations, which resulted in failed uploads and no email response.

The problem should have been fixed last night.

Best,

Barry