Rally & race car miniatures

Discussion in 'Newcomers Lounge' started by 109294_deleted, Oct 12, 2011.

1. duann
    duann Member
    Welcome Maarten,

Are there any other websites or online forums you visit surrounding these miniatures?

They look amazingly accurate.

2. Ah, you're looking for new business!

Check out http://www.diecastxchange.com/forum1/forum/20-dx-custom-mode ls/

As far as I know I am the first one to try 3D printing. Usually model builders use resin. In some cases CNC.

I've had one set of wheels printed in Alumide but the surface wasn't smooth enough (see photo). Just ordered some wheels (2,9 cm) in your white, strong & flexible PA 2200, Selective-Laser-Sintered. Hopefully that will give a better result.

I was tempted to go for the Frosted Ultra Detailed Acrylic Plastic. Too expensive I'm afraid.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 12, 2011
  3. Here are some of the cars I made.

MGA Twin Cam
    The base model
    [​IMG]
    The result
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Volvo Amazon
    [​IMG]

Mercedes 280SL
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Alfa Romeo Giulia Sprint
    This is the car I've ordered the wheels for. Still in progress.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 12, 2011
  4. stannum
    stannum Well-Known Member
    Resin is typical for final parts, for cost and finish reasons, don't discard it so fast. Original parts sometimes start as 3D print (or CNC, brother of 3D print), but final ones are resin copies. You could print only one (to save money, as hollow as possible) wheel hub, retouch it, make molds and cast as many as you need. This Corvette guy seems to do exactly that. Pro companies have been doing it even for longer, they just stood silent about the secret sauce (Original CAD files from Ferrari? Woah!).

You will have to smooth WSF like Alumide, they are pretty much the same thing just different dust loaded in the machine. So back to resin casting from 3D printed molds, maybe UD to reduce retouch time. Take a look at old posts in post process subforum.

5. Turning this model into a resin might be a good idea.

First I have to sort out my payment. It seems to be lost some how.

6. Today I received my first order. The Tripmaster (a divice to measure distance during classic rallies) is absolutely fantastic.

The wheels however aren't as smooth as I hoped. OK, my expectations were a bit too high probably. Time for a secound test!

7. Berg2011
    Berg2011 Member
    DeDionrender.jpg Hello Maarten,

Nice to see someone with the exact same interrest and idea.
    I've looked at your website and the details on your models are fantastic!
    I'm mostly rebuilding Ferrari's in 1:18. Up till now, I've had to use avalable parts, or make things by hand. You've probably done it the same way.
    I've also ordered a set of wheels. They're for my Ferrari 275 GTB in 1:18 scale. I hope they turn out right. If they do, this would make a lot more things posible. Next thing on my list is a DeDion rearaxle to replace the live axle on my 250 Testa Rossa. Some pictures!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. Your Ferrari models are looking superb!

Looking forward to see your 3D prints as well.

9. Berg2011
    Berg2011 Member
    Thanks!
    My wheels should arrive this week. I'll post some pictures when I get them. I'm also thinking of having rearviewmirrors printed. There is a constant need for those. But that would probably need to be done in "white detail" to get a smoother finish.
    What 3D program do you use? With the AutoCAD program I use, it's very hard to get smooth flowing lines, other than circles or ellipses, where I want them.

Kind regards,
    Otto.

10. Hi Otto,

A friend of mine makes the drawings. I think its Catia? The problem is that the drawing is way more accurate then the result.

I still have to machine the wheels to get a smooth result.

These are the wheels made for the 1:18 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sprint.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 12, 2011
  11. The new and old wheels.

[​IMG]

12. Berg2011
    Berg2011 Member
    O.K. So maybe no rearviewmirrors then. I'll see it when my wheels come in.
    The Alfa looks really good!

Last edited: Nov 12, 2011
  13. The mirrors are resonably flat. I guess you wouldn't have the same problems as with the wheels.

As far as I can see, curves in the virtical direction give problems. The curving of the inner part of the wheel is not very smooth. Well, you'll see when your wheels arrive.

14. Berg2011
    Berg2011 Member
    Hello Maarten,

Last Friday my wheels arrived.

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

I'm pretty pleased wih the result. The surface is a little rough, but for wheels or other components like engines or axle's I's good enough. I think it also helps that the curve in the centre of my wheels is quitte shallow. I painted the wheels with a metalic paint. This, in combination with the rough surface, gives a very "sparkly" effect. Maybe a flat gray color is beter.
    Oh, and I blundered with the design. There should be 10 holes in the wheel. I've got 12. I'll live with it, for the time being. If I dont like it, I'll fit them to an Alfa GTA.
    I think I could scrape of some more material of the wheel. I made the centre quitte thick to make it strong on this first set. It saves money, but it's also a nice design challange to get a strong wheel, with the least amount of material.

First thing I want to do now, is get my DeDion axle printed, but I need to do some more work on the drawing.

Kind regards,
    Otto.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2011
  15. Looking good!

16. Berg2011
    Berg2011 Member
    Hello Maarten,

It's been a while, but last friday I ordered my second shapeways product. I was working on a DeDion Axle for a Ferrari 250TR. But the Hotwheels is quitte a crude model, so I decided to do the whole chassis.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

This first chassis has a live rear axle. It's the simplest version of the TR-chassis. If this one turns out right, I'll also order a TR58-chassis (with the DeDion) and then its quitte easy to adapt the drawing for a TR59, TR59/60, and a TRi60. They're all a little different, but basicly the same.

Have you tried anything new?

17. Hi Otto,

Nope, haven't tried anything new. A friend of mine is making the drawings so that makes it a bit compicated to start a project.