concern over silver polishing

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by LincolnK, Sep 29, 2011.

1. LincolnK
    LincolnK Member
    Hello,

I have ordered 3 of my prints in silver so far, and looked a lot of the pictures of other's in the forums.

For the most part, my prints had the print resolution lines polished out, but had scratches and other signs of not being fully polished. I did discuss this via e-mail with customer support, and they handled it.

I noticed in a few prints online that you can clearly see the printing resolution lines even though the item had been "polished".

Over all, I love the silver prints (and so do my customers), but I am concerned about ordering more since I don't know if they are going to come back finished, or if I will end up having to pay a local jeweler to finish them before I sell them.

Please let me know if I am wrong to assume the following:

If someone pays for "polished" silver, I would think it would be completely polished to a shine. No print resolution lines, and no scratches.

To me, anything less than that is just "somewhat polished"

Lincoln

2. TajTiger
    TajTiger Member
    I do agree that the "polished silver" option should leave your products artifact and scratch-free on the surfaces that are reachable by the grit. I've had a print come back without printing artifacts but was full of scratches. I didn't mind it at the time, since it looked a whole heck of a lot better than the steel, but in retrospect, I'd like it a little cleaner if the current price Shapeways charges would cover it.

How much does it cost to have a jeweler finish a surface already polished by Shapeways? What about a print that wasn't polished already? Is it more or less than what Shapeways charges?

3. lensman
    lensman Well-Known Member
    Yes, and this this sort of brings up the inconsistancies problem with various prints, doesn't it. I've so far only had one item printed in silver (more on the way) and I didn't get it polished. In that instance I was glad I didn't pay the $10 extra for polishing because I was more than happy with the surface which looked great.

Glenn

4. 71054_deleted
    71054_deleted Member
    I'm following this thread with interest. I just ordered the first of my polished silver prints and I'm so anxious about the results. Hearing about scratches is deeply disturbing.

I anticipated doing a little fine finishing but if I have to polish out scratches, that really defeats the purpose.

@novaking - Your silver glossy prints you have printed look terrific, did you have to hand polish them?

I'm curious about paying a jeweler to polish, anyone have any quotes, general price ranges? I've always polished things myself but I'm looking to remove myself from the production progress completely, hence my journey to shapeways.

5. Youknowwho4eva
    Youknowwho4eva Well-Known Member
    I've ordered my second silver piece not polished. My Aunt is going to polish it for $20 (if it were for me it might have been free :p)

6. LincolnK
    LincolnK Member
    I've gotten quotes from different jewelers ranging from doing one piece for free to as much as $75 minimum to do anything.

@cadalu: Thanks for the compliment. To answer your question about hand polishing them, yes and no. The first piece I did came back great. The other 3 required hand polishing. When I sent them the photos, they did work stuff out with me to my satisfaction, but I'd still rather the silver just came back finished correctly.

My feeling is that I at least want to know which is the official shapeways finish. If it is one that needs hand polishing, than I don't feel comfortable letting SW sell the pieces online because customers will get unfinished pieces. If it is completely finished, then I am happy.

If the "polished" style is going to regularly have scratches or print lines on it, I won't waste the money on paying SW to polish, and will either do it myself, or pay someone else to do it.

Don't get me wrong, SW is SO MUCH cheaper than any other option I have found for making silver from a computer model that I still would use them to make the original. It's just a choice between 2 different business models.

I would really like to be able to let SW deal with the customers directly and leave me more time to continue designing.

I feel like SW is made up of awesome people and an awesome service. I just need some better consistency if I am going to trust running business that relies heavily on them. I feel like that is going to be the case at some point, but perhaps not quite yet.

Lincoln

7. 71054_deleted
    71054_deleted Member
    Thanks for the replies, sorry if I derailed the thread a bit, I've had shapeways silver on the brain. Plus the word scratches had me shaking in my boots. Yes, consistency either way would be a must. I want to print multiple copies and have them all look the same. I'll keep an eye on the thread for any info.

8. 9694_deleted
    9694_deleted Member
    FYI we've had our hands REAL full with all the changes the last few days, but rest assured, I will make sure this info gets confirmed for you. :)

9. LincolnK
    LincolnK Member
    Thanks Ana.

If possible, I would also love to know if the process is done completely in a tumbler / vibrator type of polisher, or if it does get a final polish on a buffing wheel.

Lincoln

10. 9694_deleted
    9694_deleted Member
    Hey Lincoln, I'm back with some more info on this!

After speaking with Nancy, you should be able to rely on print resolution lines being polished out, and no scratches, so long as the geometry of your given model is reachable by the polisher.

To give you an example of what I mean, think of a heart-shaped pendant. That would be an example of something that should be fully polished, no problem. If there were still resolution lines, or scratches on a heart-shaped pendant, that should be sent to CS for them to fix. Alternatively, imagine the thorn dice cast in silver. That would be incredibly hard to polish.

Nancy suggested that the best thing to do is order a sample print of each model in polished silver to get a sense of how the polishing is likely to work out if its ordered by a customer in the future.

Finally, it seems that a buffer its what's used for polishing. Is this helpful info? :)

11. LincolnK
    LincolnK Member
    Thank you for the info. That is useful.

So far the problem has been that the first one I got was fine, and then the next 2 (of the same model) were not. Then the "skellpod" one that is also totally smooth like the other but a different shape was also not properly polished.

Hopefully the "rely on print resolution lines being polished out, and no scratches" will be a consistent thing.

I have big plans for silver pieces now that I have gotten hooked on it! :)

Lincoln

12. abby
    abby Member
    Ah we have a spammer , can't see what they get from it though !
    It is a good idea to check out user names and IP addresses before allowing membership , a forum can be ruined by such low life.
    The question of transparency is surface quality not material transparency , I can't imagine that any surface produced by addition technology will every be totally transparent like glass , even after polishing.

13. pete
    pete Shapeways Employee CEO
    Abby, thanks for noting - post has been removed.

14. erckgillis
    erckgillis Member
    As a jeweler I cannot see how SW can be expected to tumble polish and buff every type of material and size/shape. Without unlimited multiple polishers, different shape and sizes of shot, coarse to fine grit polish and buffers with rouge for each material and finish is impossibly difficult!

Suffice to say the SW team will gain experience with these materials, acquire new polish and techniques to improve the range and quality of the polishing. However we as designers will find more complex shapes and details that take longer and harder to plate and polish.

Until then we can post more tips and techniques on how to DIY or have qualified professionals finalize the finish and polish for your special builds.

PM me for any questions.

15. LincolnK
    LincolnK Member
    Erk,

I know what you mean. The reason I brought it up was because my piece was completely flat, and had come polished correctly once, and then not 3 other times.

So, it was more about consistency than anything else.

Also, when we sell things via SW's site, I want to know that who ever orders it shouldn't be expected to polish their pieces.

It is a reasonable desire.

Lincoln

16. erckgillis
    erckgillis Member
    Yes, true as a customer I expect my order to look like the picture in the store. SW needs to match that. Drop shipping direct to customers allows us zero post production quality control and polishing time.

17. pete
    Hey guys we hear you. Novaking, can you please let our service team know about your results (prefer pics if you have them). We 1) will make sure you are absolutely happy and 2) that we improve our processes to prevent this from happening in the future.

Thanks for the feedback.

Pete

18. LincolnK
    LincolnK Member
    Hi Pete,

I contacted customer service a while ago about this, and they have been very VERY helpful, including reprinting 2 of the pieces for me, even though I told them that wasn't necessary. I haven't received those prints yet, so I can't comment on if they were done correctly this time though.

I know that you guys are great about fixing mistakes. My reason for starting this thread was to find out what I should expect, not to complain about what happened.

I have had around a dozen different items made by SW over the last 2 years or so, and I do feel that over all, the quality has gotten better over that time.

Lincoln

19. pete
    Hi Lincoln,

glad you can see our service improving. That's what we work at everyday. If you have pictures that you can share with customer support - we can have a look and improve our service even more.

thanks,
    Pete

20. LincolnK
    LincolnK Member
    I always send pictures.

I also explained in detail where in the production pipeline I thought the issue was coming from, and why. Having done quite a bit of silver jewelry using traditional methods over the years, I could tell what went wrong with the process.

I want SW to be my personal "cool stuff" factory, and I can tell you guys want to be the best you can.

Lincoln