new site look and feel

Discussion in 'Bug Reporting' started by virtox, Sep 29, 2011.

1. virtox
    virtox Active Member Moderator
    While working on my shop, I noticed a sudden update :)

I thought it useful to separate feedback on this general site form the model page updates.

(I hope to find time to integrate the previous top request list here soon)

Current issues:

(Firefox 6.02/7.0, Win7-x64, logged in)

- Add to cart function is erratic. First time nothing seemed to happen, cart icon remained the same.
    After going to the cart, it did show the items.
    On the cart page I got the popup "item added to cart".
    It seems so popup the cart whenever the page reloads.

When adding a second item, it does work better: icon updated and popup with contents of cart. But contents is laggin, by the fourth items it said : Total items 2

When adding a different model, the pop does not add the current item, but the item I added before. And the page sometimes reloads to a different page than the model I was on.
    The actual cart actually contains the right items.

The cart popup keeps showing old random content on each reload, from several tries ago.

- Login not persistent on first page load in new browser -> not logged in, reload ->logged in

.. tbc

Last edited: Sep 29, 2011
  2. stop4stuff
    stop4stuff Well-Known Member
    I just got in and... whoa... more changes.

My wife says the header looks rather plain and the colours are different. I agree with her, but imo, less clutter at the top means more focus on the page.

Clicking on the left/righ buttons on the splash slides (upper) on the home page throws up an 'error on page' in IE8 and doesn't scroll to next or previous item.

ooo... just spotted the external shopping cart... will check that out over the next few days.

The menu header 'shop' is a little confusing (for me)... I was expecting to see my shop there, but it links to places to buy stuff - here in the UK, we say "I'm going shopping" or "I'm going to the shop", but we don't say "shop" when we mean "buy".

Mouseover a header item shows a clicky-linky hand, but nothing happens when clicked... also moving diagonally to whatever clicky-linky thing appears in the dropdown causes the dropdown to disappear if the mouse pointer strays off of the box (pet hate of mine - sorry)

[edit] prime example of clicky-linky hand on header item - clicking on 'community' should lead to the community overview page https://www.shapeways.com/community/ but doesn't... and the overview page doesn't have a link (that I can find) :(

---> heads off to explore the rest of the changes :)

3. mctrivia
    mctrivia Well-Known Member
    when in forum always shows login never loged in

worse yet. can no longer log in.

4. 71054_deleted
    71054_deleted Member
    I keep getting logged off!

I really wish the -my models- was the first link under your screen name. I panicked this morning when I couldn't find my designs. :)

Also, is it just my eyes or is the forum text very light?

I know it's just a few pixels, but as a web designer myself the misaligned header and logo drives me insane.

5. mctrivia
    nice to see shapeways is keeping up there high quality of workmanship and releasing updates full of bugs. Thank you shapeways. Can't wait to see what you do next week.

6. Virtox - the shopping cart issues should be fixed - please let us know if you see more issues.

Stop4Stuff - we're tracking the top nav quirks re: links and highlighting and we will release fixes mid-next week.

Best,
    Josh

7. mctrivia

Why was this ever released? Do you never learn. You need to test stuff first.

8. virtox
    virtox Active Member Moderator
    Thanks! Shopping cart works more predictable but still not as it should be.

Add first item to cart : ok, popup and info is ok
    Add this item second time: ok, popup and info is ok
    Go to other model, add to shopping cart : popup says, 1 item total?
    Is it meant to show only the last item?

All the while the cart icon does not change, only on new page does it show numbers 1/2/3 etc

9. Technoboots
    Technoboots Member
    When I'm browsing the forum and I go to log in I am then redirected to the home page rather than back to the forum page.

10. stop4stuff
    This has always been the case, just hit back on your browser (or backspace on the keyboard) once or twice to get back to the forum page you were viewing.

11. Technoboots
    Technoboots Member
    Not for me, previously when logging in I did it from the forum page and always returned to the forum page.

12. stop4stuff
    Forum homepage or the previous forum page you were veiwing before logging in?

13. stannum
    stannum Well-Known Member
    shop4stuff: the menus closing as soon as you go out is the same issue normal interfaces had/have, and in some cases solved properly, long ago. As web keeps reinventing things, they keep on hitting the same issues and having to figure the solutions too.

mctrivia: they community are the testers, it seems. Welcome to the web 2011. They removed the pink "beta" circle in header, to make it funnier.

cadalu: yes, text is greyish now (#7C8291), rather poor contrast. It feels like the light bulb icon issue years ago (the yellow version was so faint as the grey-blue one was, so hard to see where new post were avaliable) just affecting a lot more area, and a lot more important.

14. Technoboots
    Technoboots Member
    I was always logging on from the forum homepage, it's a bit annoying logging in there and being redirected to the site homepage now. If it could be adjusted so nomatter what page you login from you automatically go back to the page you were on previously it would be ideal. It does that with item pages just not on any page in the forum.

15. stop4stuff
    oh, right, ok...

Two different things... sorry I got confused with what you said & meant :blush:

16. Technoboots
    Technoboots Member
    Well, at the moment this is what's happening for me

It's a bit annoying when you are logging in to reply to a post which you are looking at as I tend to open some threads through notifications in my email.

17. stop4stuff
    I already gave the solution to login whilst on a forum post... just hit back once or twice and you'll get there... ttfn

18. GWMT
    GWMT Active Member
  19. stop4stuff
    Yep, it moved, click on support on lower right of page, then the 'contact us' link mid right on the page.

20. stop4stuff
    This is related to both the new model page and site.

I prefer $, when browsing the gallery the price is shown in $, clicking through to the model page for a co-creator item shows the price in euros, clicking through further to personalise the item shows the price in $ again, inconsistent and confusing.

[edit] even on just normal models, gallery price is shwon is $, model page price is shown in euros

Last edited: Oct 2, 2011