Link for Private models with new item page?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by tebee, Sep 25, 2011.

1. tebee
    tebee Well-Known Member
    OK have I missed this? Where do I find the link to give to people I want to show private models too ?

Can't seem to find it now the page has changed :(

Tom

2. stop4stuff
    stop4stuff Well-Known Member
    Make the model private and for sale from the model edit page, head to 'My Designs' find a public model, goto the model page, turn off edit mode, go to 'My Designs' again, right click on the model you want to copy the private url from, select copy shortcut and there you go :confused

There's a coding error for the new model page that prevents the model owner from switching off edit mode on 'private and for sale models'... the issue was relayed and reported on Friday.

3. tebee
    tebee Well-Known Member
    Ah ! OK.

It is, of course, on my second id where every model is private but then it would be, wouldn't it ? :twisted:

Never mind, I will have to make one public for a while.

Thanks Tom

4. stop4stuff
    oh, ok, in that case, you can get to the non-edit page by making a different model 'private & not for sale', clicking the edit to off and then going to 'My Designs' to grab the url for the 'private & for sale' model.

5. 64203_deleted
    64203_deleted Member
    I don't think this procedure works anymore! (Many changes since Sep 2011)

1) I don't know where "My Designs" is! I think you mean "My Models"?

2) On the "My Models" page, EVERY model goes to the Edit mode, there is no link to go directly to the non-edit mode of any model.

3) for public models, I can use a URL like this:
    https://www.shapeways.com/model/599105/
    But, this gives a error for private models:
    "Oops! We can't find the page you're looking for."

I can order my own private models but, how do I get the URL that a customer can use to order a private model I designed just for him?

6. stonysmith
    stonysmith Well-Known Member Moderator
    Try using the permalink such as http://shpws.me/8tBR .. that should work whether it's public or private.

7. stop4stuff
    Click on the image to get to the 'edit model' page.
    If your model is set to 'Offer For Sale To Others', click 'Exit Edit Mode', then copy the url in the address bar of the browser window for the private link that you can give your client.

8. 64203_deleted
    64203_deleted Member
    How do I get a permalink?
    And what is that, exactly?

9. stonysmith
    stonysmith Well-Known Member Moderator
    The permalink option is on every model:
    PermaLink.jpg

10. stop4stuff
    Goto the public model page (click on the text for the model from your 'My Models' page) and under the description will be a word 'Permalink' - click on it and a shortened URL is generated for your model page.

permalink.JPG

[edit] ninja'd by Stony :(

Last edited: Jul 13, 2012