Lion Skull Ring

Discussion in 'My Shapeways Order Arrived' started by Braddock, Sep 24, 2011.

1. Braddock
    Braddock Member

Attached Files:

2. Datto
    Datto Member
    Very nice! is shapeways even doing silver anymore?

3. Braddock
    Braddock Member
    Cheers!

Yeah, I think so... only reason I'm using them.

4. duann
    duann Member
    Woah !!! Nice

I can see a Halloween special coming on

5. lensman
    lensman Well-Known Member
    Very nice, but I would hate to get anything heavy coming down on my finger while wearing that :D

Glenn

6. 9694_deleted
    9694_deleted Member
    @lensman yah I hear you there :p

Braddock, major coolness! I'm loving the detail I've been seeing in Silver lately.

7. LincolnK
    LincolnK Member
    Great piece!

It looks like I can see the printing lines in it though.

Can you see them in person?

If so, I wonder how SW can call it polished if you can still see the lines of resolution from printing.

Lincoln

8. Braddock
    Braddock Member
    Thanks guys, the teeth are high enough above your finger to not cause any injuries :)

The print lines are a little harder to see in person, I'm going to upload a turntable video soon.

I'm also having another one wax printed and cast here in Sydney, so I can compare. Shapeways unit price for mulitple copies is far too high, so looking for alternatives.

9. JewelryLab
    JewelryLab Member
    very nice model, can you tell me how much it cost you to print in silver?

10. roofoo
    roofoo Well-Known Member
    @Alfredo: if he told you that, then you could figure out his markup. :p

11. JewelryLab
    JewelryLab Member
    that's true, as I print on solidscape and perfactory all the time, this print would cost me around $100 plus silver cast another $40, I was just wondering if here it's more or less :eek:

12. Youknowwho4eva
    Youknowwho4eva Well-Known Member
    Here the starting price right now is $40 minumum for up to the first cc of silver, $50 for polished $20 per cc after that. Starting Oct. 1 it will be $30 handling fee + $20 per cc for silver, $35 handling +$20 per cc for polished silver

13. Braddock
    Braddock Member
    Thanks for the feedback.

I wont be making a point of selling items via Shapeways as the cost price per unit is too high, however Shapeways is great for prototyping and creating a master, that can then be cast via more affordbable means.

I'll be redesiging this piece as two parts, Skull and Band with a male / female lock so make polishing easier, and also swap different size / style band with different heads etc.

14. rubyscooby
    rubyscooby Member
    Very cool design! I have been thinking of doing some skull designs. Wanted to do a wierd duck bill platapus or maybe a flying fox.