Sketchup Settings

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by randomblink, Sep 13, 2011.

1. randomblink
    randomblink Member
    I am trying to get my sketchup settings set so that anything I building there will make a fairly clean transfer to Shapeways. Under Model Info -> Units there are several settings that I believe could make developing 3D prints in Sketchup much nicer...

Has someone built a Sketchup Shapeways Template?

Any help would be MUCH appreciated! Thanks...

2. Youknowwho4eva
    Youknowwho4eva Well-Known Member
    From what I've heard, Sketch-up exports in inches. I did read recently that this may have been fixed in the latest update. Just something to watch out for.

3. ceramicwombat
    ceramicwombat Member
    In SketchUp, go to Window>Preferences>Template and you can choose one with the unit you want. I use millimeters and design everything 100 times larger than the finished model. SketchUp does not handle tiny models well for whatever reason, and creating your model at the larger scale and reducing it later makes things a bit easier.

4. 46486_deleted
    46486_deleted Member
    Hello.
    I use SketchUp all the time.
    I use this PlugIn to export as a stl file.

To export, all you need to do is select all of the model, click Tools>Export to DXF or STL.
    A pop up window will open, I use Export Units>Millimetres>Ok>Export to DXF options>STL>Save as "model".stl

Hope this helps, Tom.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2011
  5. hldevore
    hldevore Member
    Not sure what SketchUp version you were using but...Version 8.0.4811 which is the current on 9/27/2011 in Windows version EXPORT is under FILE menu..and options are only 3D Model, 2D Graphic and a pitch to get you to spend $495! for SketchUp Pro!!!!

When you choose 3D Model it gives you the option to export as a COLLADA file (*.dae) or as a Google Earth kmz file...

I'm hoping COLLADA gets me to where I want to be...ugggg... or maybe I am off to Blender?

6. aeron203
    aeron203 Member
    Collada should upload fine, and I think they fixed the unit conversion problem. If you need to rescale, convert format, or do other adjustments, you can import that file into Blender or Meshlab.

7. hldevore
    hldevore Member
    Yes thanks! the Collada uploaded fine! though I forgot to check dimensions I think it worked. will post back if didnt

8. Howdy!
    version: 8.0.4811
    This is a file that I have made, which is untested... so far.

EDIT: it is an .SKB - a template file for making sketchup models. I have experience making these, my first experience sending in models to a 3D printer is hopefully going to get here by Xmas. This file is a response to the original request for a template file.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 11, 2011